cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dropbox needs to change permissions" message on startup

"Dropbox needs to change permissions" message on startup

Rachel R.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Lately, every time I start my Mac (OS 10.14.6) I get a message that reads (in full): 

"Dropbox needs to change permissions for the Folder: /Users/[name]/Dropbox

Enter your password to allow this"

(I would attach a screenshot here but I can't figure out how.)

I enter the password and all is well, but it happens Every. Single. Time. I start my computer. After checking here for ideas, I checked for symlinks (there are none) and reinstalled Dropbox (so I am now running the latest version), but that has not helped at all. What now?

58 Replies 58

mjulia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issue, but unrelated to restarts. About every week, Dropbox presents the message like in Rachel's screenshot, and starts synching 15K+ files, even though none of them changed. It takes several days and completely kills my buttery.

I have run the following command and do not have any hyperlinks:

find "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)" -type l -exec ls -lah {} \;

I've also applied the instructions above. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Julia

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@mjulia wrote:

I've also applied the instructions above. Any other ideas?

Hi @mjulia,

Is everything above passed without errors? Did you change the paths? In your case they are little bit different - the folder name differs!

Can you pass exact result in the terminal after execution (in a code block </>) - together commands and the returns, if any?

mjulia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, I did change the paths.

[~/Documents/D/GitRepositories/www]> sudo chflags -R noschg "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)"
Password:
[~/Documents/D/GitRepositories/www]> sudo chflags -R nouchg "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)"
[~/Documents/D/GitRepositories/www]> sudo chown -R "$USER" "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)"
[~/Documents/D/GitRepositories/www]> chmod -R u+rw "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)"
[~/Documents/D/GitRepositories/www]> ls -al /Users/mjulia/Dropbox\ \(Personal\)/
total 2784
drwx------@ 17 mjulia staff 544 5 Dec 00:11 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 70 mjulia staff 2240 3 Jan 09:50 ..

(the rest of the directories are omitted)

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Your subscription is a Business one! Did you try the same commands for the Business folder too, not only to the private one? :thinking: The issue could comes from there.

mjulia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I believe that my Busness subscription is no longer active. Or at least I do not have that folder on my computer any more. After further inspection, I do have another Dropbox folder that is linked to that one. Maybe that causes some issues?

[~]> ls -al Dropbox*
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 mjulia staff 32 19 Feb 2016 Dropbox -> /Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)

Dropbox (Personal):
total 2784
drwx------@ 17 mjulia staff 544 5 Dec 00:11 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 70 mjulia staff 2240 3 Jan 09:50 ..

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

What's the result from:

cat ~/.dropbox/info.json; echo

:thinking:

mjulia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

{"personal": {"path": "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)", "host": 48016340672, "is_team": false, "subscription_type": "Pro"}}

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hmm... interesting...

Let's try different possibilities. First, if and what kind of links you have inside Dropbox:

ls -alRP "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)" | grep " -> "

If there is some result, pointing path have to be inside your Dropbox folder, otherwise could be the problem. Next, to remove potentially quarantine for part(s), try following:

xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)"

Hope some of the above commands will solve the issue.

mjulia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

No links..

[~]> ls -alRP "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)" | grep " -> "
[~]> xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine "/Users/mjulia/Dropbox (Personal)"

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution
I'm up to here, haven't more suggestions, currently. Let's hope someone else will give some additional possibilities, which work better for you.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

uzer123 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Samsam Explorer | Level 4
    jorn Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?