cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"This file can't be previewed" Error Message

"This file can't be previewed" Error Message

sarah h.13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This morning I started receiving the error message "This file can't be previewed" when I try to view pictures saved in my dropbox account. These are all uploaded by me and span a couple years worth of pictures. This is a work account, so it's important these aren't lost. They are also linked on a google doc and the same message occurs when the link is clicked.

I tried signing out then back in. I'm not sure what else to try?

22 Replies 22

joevalley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks to the user that posted success about changing the chrome settings to not block 3rd party cookies and site data. Thanks also for the user who posted a link to dropbox help article about files not displaying. I am still having problems viewing picture thumbnails. Preview just isn't working. I have checked that the files are not too big according to their file type. I have checked to see if files are corrupt. I have set my Chrome to not block 3rd party cookies. I am using .tiff files. The files are only 12 MB each (so size isn't an issue). What could it be?  

michaellinder
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem as Joe Valley. Though I hate opening up my browser to third-party web data and all the sneaks that floodgate now lets in, it's done. But no preview. I also disabled Ghostery, Adblock+, Webroot Secure Anywhere and still no joy. Turnd out it was Internet Download Manager. 

Turning off Downloads/Options/Customize IDM Download panels in browsers/Edit activating the checkbox next top "Don't capture downloads from web players automatically" solved the problem. Go figure. 

joevalley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Michael Linder, that's great you were able to figure it out by turning off Downloads/Options/Customize...etc. Thanks for posting this; I'm giving it a shot.

L555
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is happening to me also. I am not able to view small jpegs.  I have tired different forums and emails to the Helpdesk. It's very frustrating!

TheMousetress
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm in the same boat here as well.  I cannot see any of my pics -- I've had them for years.  In order to see them, I have to download them to view.  I'm unable to view them on my phone as well.  It's so frustrating.

Mark D.21
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having a similar problem.  I am able to view images just fine but I cannot preview any .mov file.  Similar to other users this is a new problem.

Mark D.21
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Not sure if it is related but I am also noticing the comments section has a permanently swirling icon and the comments section seems disabled.

Josep V.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Please, bring back preview of text files (.tex, .bib, .README), please, pretty-please, preview of text files? Please?

mwa7368
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just had this error when uploading 50mb TIFF's.    I realized it was something with the metadata of the images.  Something that was applied in Adobe bridge or other editing software.  I stripped the extra metadata and it resolved the issue. 

iDamonJ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
We discovered here at our company that image file previews that will not show with the message “this item cannot be previewed “ is a result of any preview thumbnail that is horizontal as all the same group of pics that work are vertical when viewing what preview would look like on Mac or PC. I have not seen this problem posted anywhere yet. I tried multiple browsers with same result. On a side note same issue in Google Drive with Chrone or IE11. I hope Dropbox will take a look at this and hope maybe it will at least explain to others why some previews will not work while others will when all things equal like size of file and file type are within the given requirements to be able to generate previews.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Hussainpstu Collaborator | Level 8
    mufcmothy New member | Level 2
    iDamonJ New member | Level 2
    mwa7368 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?