cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do people back-up their Dropbox files?

Do people back-up their Dropbox files?

KPUK
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all, A recent cyber audit in our organisation recommended we back-up our entire Dropbox. We are an organisation of approx 50 employees. We use MFA for Dropbox access and use Dropbox exclusively for filing across the entire business. Does anyone else choose to back their Dropbox files up and why? The research I've done of Dropbox shows it to be pretty robust. I get a non-committal, politicians-style answer from the auditors, as to whether they think this is business essential or a nice-to-have, and am interested in what others opinions are. Thank you. 

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@KPUK wrote:

Does anyone else choose to back their Dropbox files up and why?

If you're a business, or just have important data in general, you should follow the 3-2-1 backup strategy for all of your data, regardless of where it's stored.

• Three copies of your data.
  • Stored on two different types of media.
  • With one copy stored off-site.

KPUK
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Rich. 

Does this method not put you more at risk of data security breach?

Rich
Super User II

@KPUK wrote:

Does this method not put you more at risk of data security breach?

Would you not secure the data, regardless of where it's stored? Sure, you could claim there's more risk since there are more copies of the data available to possibly breach, but I find it a bigger risk to only have a single backup, especially when I don't have total control over the system or service.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    KPUK Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?