cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Smart Sync Icons Missing on Windows 10 - SOLVED

Dropbox Smart Sync Icons Missing on Windows 10 - SOLVED

JacobRusso
Collaborator | Level 8

After spending almost an entire week with Dropbox tech support, uninstalling, re-installing, cleaning registries, running command scripts, MULTIPLE TIMES...   We were getting nowhereSo, I did some serious research on the web looking for ways to locate and fix Windows Right-Click "Context Menus". 

I found a utility called ShellExView by Nirsoft.  Which pointed to another page ( fix-slow-right-click-crashes-shell-extensions  ) with some more explanation on how to use it. 

Apparently, the problem was that, for some strange reason, as you can see in the screenshot below, the Dropbox “ContextMenuHandler Class” was marked as Disabled”. 

Dropbox Smart Sync Icons Missing on Windows 10 - SOLVED.png

I simply did a Right-Clickover it, and selected to “Enable selected items”.  Then re-started Explorer using ShellExView's Ctrl+E option to restart the Windows shell.  Please NOTE... Restarting the Explorer shell is an essential step. This should NOT be skipped. 

And… VOILA!!!   After a few seconds... ALL of the Dropbox Context Menu items magically now appear!!!

For FOLDERS, it shows like this:

Dropbox Smart Sync Icons for FOLDERS Screenshot 2022-02-24 10.39.37.png

And for FILES, it looks like this:

Dropbox Smart Sync Icons for FILES Screenshot 2022-02-24 10.45.19.png

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Jacob

14 Replies 14

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @emilytimor, could you try the offline installer from this page and let us know if this persists after you've installed that?

Note that you may also need to verify that the Windows UAC levels are set to default levels. 

This can be changed in your Security settings in the control panel. For more information about UAC levels on Windows please see this link.

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

emilytimor
Explorer | Level 3

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... that actually worked! - EDIT: To be clear, that was the installation that worked, didn't need to do anything with the UAC.

Thank you so much, I've wasted so much time today having to go online.

Thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

No biggie, Emily - I'm just glad I could help. Thanks for keeping me in the loop too!

See you around the Community and enjoy the remainder of your week!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

emilytimor
Explorer | Level 3

So just to check - that means it was an issue with the previous version? I have a company and my whole team use drobpox - so I'll need to anticipate and know how to resolve it for them.

Thanks!

starboy77
New member | Level 2

To get all the shell extensions back, in my case I simply opened preferences and changed the "show dropbox badge" setting to not show. then i applied. toggled it back to always and applied. After that for some reason not only did it turn on the badge but all the shell extensions started showing again.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 231633.png

Need more support?