cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How To Use CData ODBC driver for Dropbox to import data in Excel with Microsoft Query

How To Use CData ODBC driver for Dropbox to import data in Excel with Microsoft Query

jamesmillere
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

With this Power BI tool, I am trying to use the CData ODBC driver for Dropbox to import data in Microsoft Excel. I wanted to know how to use parameters with Microsoft Query so I get all the data at single platform.

Thanks In Advance

3 Replies 3

Priyasharmaaa
New member | Level 2

Follow the steps below to import Dropbox data using standard SQL:

1. From the ribbon in Excel, click Power Query -> From Other Data Sources -> From ODBC.
  2. Enter the ODBC connection string. Below is a connection string using the default DSN created when you install the driver:

Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;DSN=CData Dropbox Source

3. Enter the SELECT statement to import data with. For example:

SELECT Id, Name FROM Files

odbc-power-query-1.png

4. Enter credentials, if required, and click Connect. The results of the query are displayed in the Query Editor Preview. You can combine queries from other data sources or refine the data with Power Query formulas. To load the query to the worksheet, click the Close and Load button.

odbc-power-query-2.png

Thanks

jamesmillere
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

A few days ago, I posted a query on Dropboxforum, when I checked it today for solutions I found that the my post is not available. Admin please have a look at it and make it live so I can receive solutions to get rid of my problem.

Thanks

gregbowers
Explorer | Level 3

Here are the steps to use the CData ODBC driver for Dropbox to import data in Excel with Microsoft Query:

1. Download and install the CData ODBC driver for Dropbox on your computer.

2. Open Microsoft Excel and click on the "Data" tab.

3. Click on "From Other Sources" and select "From Microsoft Query".

4. In the "Choose Data Source" dialog box, select the CData ODBC driver for Dropbox and click "OK".

5. In the "Microsoft Query" dialog box, click on "File" and select "Connect".

6. In the "ODBC Data Source Administrator" dialog box, select the CData ODBC driver for Dropbox and click "Configure".

7. Enter your Dropbox account credentials in the "User" and "Password" fields and click "Test Connection" to ensure that you can connect to your Dropbox account.

8. Once you have successfully connected to your Dropbox account, select the data you want to import into Excel and click "OK".

9. In the "Microsoft Query" dialog box, click on "Return Data" and select "Table".

10. Click "OK" and your data will be imported into Excel.

11. Once the data is imported, you can manipulate it as you would any other data in Excel.

That's it! You have successfully used the CData ODBC driver for Dropbox to import data into Excel with Microsoft Query.

Need more support?