cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to save Showcase content

How to save Showcase content

Emma
Community Manager
Hi everyone,

We’ve had some users looking for a way to save content from Showcase. We wanted to share some workarounds to help anyone experiencing this.

To save and share the contents of Showcase

Click the download button in the upper-right corner of a Showcase to export the files within it.
  • This will save the files to a local folder (e.g., Downloads)
    • Please note that this does not download any embedded links (e.g. to a youtube video or website)
  • You can upload this content to a new folder within Dropbox and share it with others.

:pushpin: Pro tip! Try Dropbox Transfer and include a brand logo or try branded sharing and traffic and insights for your shared link! 

To save the formatting, text, and a visual snapshot of the layout

1. Install a browser extension that combines a webpage into a single HTML file for export. We’ve tried this with SingleFile for Chrome, but you can use your preferred extension. 

1. Navigate to the Showcase you want to download.

:pushpin: Pro-tip: Downloading the HTML in this way will save whatever is visible, so opening your Showcase while logged in with a different Dropbox account or in incognito mode will avoid having the edit options show up in the file you create.

1. Click the Chrome extension in the navigation bar to create and download the HTML file.

1. Open the HTML file in your web browser to test it out.

:pushpin: Pro tip! The HTML file will still reference your files hosted on Dropbox, but the links will stop functioning.

Please note that: 
  • This workaround uses a third-party extension and is not supported by Dropbox. Dropbox is not responsible for any issues resulting from the use of a third-party extension.
  • After January 31st 2021, the text will still be available but your snapshot will lose all other functionality.

There are also some new ways to get the most of your files with our new features!

Hope this helps! 
9 Replies 9

elbee
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Emma

This is a technical, difficult and unsatisfactory workaround for the novice techie like myself..

Given that showcases are disappearing unexpectedly, can you please provide a way for us to download a complete copy of a showcase, including formatting, text and images so our hard work will not be entirely lost? 

Thanks very much!

DynamoSapiens
Helpful | Level 5

The HTML file produced by SingleFile LOOKS okay, but none of the text saved can be copied and pasted. This is crucial for rebuilding the content someplace else.

I have 62 Showcases to backup before the service is terminated. It will take days to rebuild and I just have no idea how I am going to make it in time. 

elbee
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Emma

May I PLEASE request dropbox enable an easy download option for the COMPLETE contents of the existing showcases you are planning to delete.  Saving the images as described above is one thing, but the included formatting and associated word content is essential to their usefulness for us.  I feel like these showcases are a creation of ours that is being taken away with no option to keep - it doesn't seem right?

Perhaps I am missing something?

Thanks very much.

DynamoSapiens
Helpful | Level 5

You are not. They seem oblivious to the fact that this is a serious challenge to some of their users. I have created 60+ showcases with photographic short stories since I discovered the feature. Those do not represent content, they ARE the content.

As I've stated before I get why they want to get rid of that feature. But I can't rely on them if they start drop services like Google does.

The proper way to do it would be to offer tools for migrating the content to other platforms. The least I expect is to offer a download option so I can rebuild without working against the clock.

Gianmaria V
New member | Level 2

Hallo,

we absolutely need a good way to download a complete copy of  our full collectuion of showcases, including formatting, text and images.

Thanks for your help

Gianmaria 

SCLA Jessica Hird
New member | Level 2

Hi there- I had planned to take care of this download from Showcase later today --well in advance of the Showcase retirement on Januarya 1, 2021 but today I go in and I can't find any Showcases.  Was everything retired early?  Could you direct me to my showcase links?  Thanks!

DynamoSapiens
Helpful | Level 5
Go to Apps, then Showcase.

SCLA Jessica Hird
New member | Level 2

Thank you! To recap for anyone reading: The left side navigation with the Showcases has disappeared.  Now the only way to navigate to Apps (the 9 boxes in the right hand corner) and click "Showcase". Presumably this will only be available until January 2021 retirement.  

TechnikALFRED
Explorer | Level 3

thank you, helped a lot!

Need more support?