cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How we use Dropbox

How we use Dropbox

Amy
Community Manager
We love to share how our Community members use Dropbox, and we thought it would be fun to tell you how some Dropboxers use it too! So why not start at home, with us, your Community team, so up first is me - @Amy. As you know, I post here a lot, and of course I use Dropbox for work but I’m also a big fan of using it to keep everyone in my house on the same page. I use it for a million and one things but when I started writing this, I kept thinking of how handy Dropbox was when I was moving house. 

I rent with three other people, and we’ve had to move twice in the last three years, which is never fun, and I don’t know if you know much about renting in Dublin but it’s a little crazy at the moment. 😖

To apply for a rental place, you need a lot of info - passports, payslips, references for each person, AND a customized letter of application. So having all of those documents in one place the four of us can access means anyone can send in an application as soon as they see a place that’s available. We had a running Paper doc of places we’d applied for, heard back from, and the contact details of the landlords or agencies

Once we had finally found a place, I used Paper to make to-do lists for the big cleaning tasks so we could all be clear what had to be done.
I had a Paper doc for packing up each room. That’s a satisfying box to tick. 
I had a shared folder for images of the new place before we moved anything in. 
I had a folder with a copy of our lease that we all had access to. 
We have a Paper doc where we split the bills, and keep track of who buys stuff for the house. This might sound super detailed, but it helps to make sure no one is getting stuck with the same tasks or extra costs. 

We planned the whole move on Dropbox, over many pints, and everyone is happy to know that we’re on the same page. Everything’s backed up and we all have access anytime.

I’m not saying I want to move again, but I know I have the blueprints for doing it well now! 

Celebrating after signing the leaseCelebrating after signing the lease

4 Replies 4

robotcop
New member | Level 2

hello thanks for here love

Thank you
Explorer | Level 4
Thank you

Laureline
Community Manager

100% Amy!

When we bought our apartment, we kept all our documents in a Dropbox folder (I'll never forget this 'House Hunting Main Folder', because I probably consulted 1000+ times in a couple of months).

Initially, we only had our personal files in the folder: payslips, bank account extracts, phone bills, copies of passports & IDs, bank statements, etc.

Because we were buying an apartment in a foreign country, we had to translate all our payslips from before, and we had many bank accounts, so it was a :fire: hot :fire: mess.

We had to be super reactive for every stage (bidding war, solicitor deadlines, etc), so it was a life savior to have all the docs available in one single place, accessible anywhere (& on mobile), especially when the bank was asking for them for the 7th time 😅

As the process went on, we had more and more docs to keep track of: price & mortgage simulation that we did on Excel, contracts that we had to sign, mortgage requests & approvals, etc. 

It is quite hard to adult, but honestly being able to keep track of all our files gave me so much peace of mind that it avoided a bunch of massive panic moments - so Dropbox definitely made it easier 😊

Amy
Community Manager

Yeah I was thinking exactly that at one point - if it's this intense for renting, imagine if we were buying! But I definitely feel like I have a better idea of how to stay organised enough to keep it all rolling whenever we get around to that stage. Here's to making being a grown up easier! 😂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amy Community Manager
    Laureline Community Manager
    Thank you Explorer | Level 4
    robotcop New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?