cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing dropbox files that were deleted by shared users.

Losing dropbox files that were deleted by shared users.

mrlagrange
Explorer | Level 3

I have shared files and folder with friends and family and after time passes they sometimes delete or move them and delete the folder.  The problem is that I have lost some very important stuff because it removes them from my computer and dropbox.com.  I even tried it in the Family Room which is I assume for sharing family photos.  Any mistake by a shred person that my accidently delete a photo, the whole family will loose it.  I have searched the help center and it seems to be the case because there is no good explanation for this simple problem.  I would have to make duplicates of everything before I share it.

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@mrlagrange wrote:

I have shared files and folder with friends and family and after time passes they sometimes delete or move them and delete the folder.

If you share a folder and give people edit permissions, then anyone with those permissions can not only view and download files, but they can also modify and even delete them. If you don't want people to be able to delete files from a shared folder, change their permissions to view only, or use a shared link instead.

mrlagrange
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks that was easy but I could not find that in the help center.  It should say "share settings"   The help center said

"On dropbox.com

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Hover over the file or folder you’d like to share and click the share icon (rectangle with an up arrow)."

I never could find the rectangle with an up arrow

Rich
Super User II

@mrlagrange wrote:

I never could find the rectangle with an up arrow

dfd1320d2dc54f06ea8545063cb69791.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    mrlagrange Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?