cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

pbuco
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The error seems to be gone...

After several restarts no more error - at least on my machine!

I tried to repair/reinstall by running the following file manually as an administrator:

Folder 1.3.57.1 - DropboxUpdateHelper (Windows Installer) as admin

Once I got an error message that "psmachine.dll"  cannot be found (Click OK, Ignore, etc.) - e voila!

I'll keep an eye on it...

Greetings from Vienna

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi pbuco,

I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it did not work for me. I got no error message ' error message that "psmachine.dll"  cannot be found'.  I tried both the 'Repair' and the 'Install' option for the 'DropboxUpdateHelper' but no luck.

pbuco
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Too good to be true and shame on me!

After repair/reinstall I found DbxSvc set to "manual" in Services - don't ask why... Switched back to "automatic" the error was back. :sob:

Waiting for an update and good night from Vienna

Zeeshan A.2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am having the same issue

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  DbxSvc 
  - EventID 320

[ Qualifiers]  49154 
   Level 2 
   Task 3 
  - TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2016-11-11T21:16:33.000000000Z

EventRecordID 27779 

- EventData

(-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified. 

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi all,

Benjamin (Dropbox Technical Support) has emailed me with a suggestion that the problem may be with my user account.  He recommends that I set up an additional account with Administrator rights and install another copy of Dropbox on it to see if that also has the problem.  I cannot believe that the issue is anything to to with my user account - this belief is reinforced by the growing number of fellow Dropbox users reporting identical problems in this thread.  Surely we don't all have corrupted user accounts.  As my system resources would become a bit stretched, I am not keen to create another user account if it is not really necessary.

I have asked him again to look at this thread with particular reference to the post by pbuco and orion44 about the apparent mismatch between the update folder path in the registry entry and the folder path in 'C:\Program Files'.

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Two new errors observed:

System

- Provider

[ Name] DbxSvc

- EventID 320

[ Qualifiers] 49154

Level 2

Task 3

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-11-10T18:39:17.000000000Z

EventRecordID 75757

Channel Application

Computer PC

Security

- EventData

(-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] DbxSvc

- EventID 270

[ Qualifiers] 49154

Level 2

Task 3

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-11-10T18:39:17.000000000Z

EventRecordID 75751

Channel Application

Computer PC

Security

- EventData

(-2145452013) The system could not find the filter specified.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi orion44,

The first of your two new errors in your latest post appears to be the originally reported error (EventID 320).  The second (EventID 270) has not appeared on my system as yet.  Is this second error on your system persistent in the sense it appears at each start of your system or did it appear just once?  If it appears repeatedly, does Windows recover the situation as it does with the original error and allow you to use Dropbox normally?

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The new errors were triggered when I opened Dropbox, not sure which specific behavior did it.  Only the original error is appearing at every boot.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi orion44,

That sounds like like a temporary glitch during startup when a background service takes longer than usual open because of other system activity - for example I find that sometimes, by chance, my Firewall runs an update during startup (its updates only happen at irregular intervals and not necessarily at startup) and this seems to limit the resources available for the regular startup items causing a possible timeout for something that cannot load within its normal time span.

Regular monitoring of the Event Viewer can make one neurotic as errors and warnings show up - ignoring the Event Viewer leaves us none the wiser as usually Windows sorts the problems.  Without my neurosis I probably would be blissfully unaware of this Dropbox bug :sleeping:

roberto l.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi there, in our case we were recycling the 3 laptops, hard drive format, reinstallation of Windows, followed by installation of Dropbox. On one laptop we tried installing Dropbox before any other software to avoid potential conflicts, this did not help. This all took place last week (week commencing 7th Nov 2016).

The Event Log always shows 3 messages from DbxSvc service - "Service Started", "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified. " and "Pipe server thread started." DbxSvc.exe shows as running in Task Manager. Dropbox.exe does not show as running. I go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client and double click on Dropbox.exe, it runs for a short time in Task Manager and then disappears. There are no messages in Event Log relating to Dropbox.exe.

I have manually run the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\1.3.57.1\DropboxUpdateHelper.msi" as an Administrator - no change to anything.

I analysed the registry and found the same problems as mentioned above, I fixed the path to be 1.3.57.1 and restarted the DbxSvc service, re-ran Dropbox.exe, Dropbox still disappears after a couple of seconds.

I looked in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Dropbox\logs\1-crash-reports\Dropbox-win-14.4.19\ and I can see a dump file for every time I run Dropbox.exe. If somebody tells me where to send them, I can do that.

I have tried logging out the user, logging back in after making the above changes, same happens. I will go and try installing Dropbox on another Admin account now, although I´m already logged in with an admin account.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

katnappa Explorer | Level 3
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Kester Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?