cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can´t edit one of my excel files.

I can´t edit one of my excel files.

NereaP
New member | Level 2

I can't edit one of my excel files with excel online. I could do it yesterday but not today. All the files with extension .xlsx give me the possibility of editing with excel online but this one have the extension .xlsm and doen't give me the option. But I edited it yesterday without problems. 

Can someone help me?

4 Replies 4

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @NereaP,

Currently, you can indeed only edit .xlsx files with the Microsoft Excel Online integration.

What you would need to do is change the file type by opening the file locally on your computer through the Microsoft Excel software (if you have this on your device). Then you will be able to save the file with “Save as…” and change the file type back to .xlsx before saving.

If you have the desktop app syncing your Dropbox files to your computer, you can easily open the file from within the Dropbox folder. Saving the file back to the original location with the correct file type will sync this to your account automatically and allow you to open it via the web.

Otherwise, you may need to download the file from the web, open it within Excel and change the file type and then save it back to your account.

Out of curiosity, could you let me know if this is a shared file that the file type could have accidentally been changed by another user? Did you edit this last from the desktop or the website? If you check the version history of the file then you should be able to see where the file type was changed.

Hope this helps - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NereaP
New member | Level 2

Thank you Daphne,

The file didn`t change and until yesterday I was able to edit it. 

I will do what you suggest and convert the file into xlsx

Thank you so much for your reply

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey again @NereaP,

Thanks for that extra info, please do let me know how you get on with these steps.

Looking forward to your update - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @NereaP - how are you today?

I was wondering if you managed to resolve your concern in the end and if so, how exactly? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    NereaP New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?