cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I rename the root folder?

How do I rename the root folder?

Stephen G.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I recently joined Dropbox for Business on a trial basis. As part of the process, it forcefully renames your Dropbox folder to "Dropbox (Personal)". I have since decided not to use Dropbox for Business. Although I now only have one dropbox folder, it is still called "Dropbox (Personal)" - it did not automatically change back when the accounts were unlinked.

How do I get Dropbox to change the name back?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Unlink the DB app from your account, rename the folder, relink the DB app (do not use previous settings when prompted).

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Unlink the DB app from your account, rename the folder, relink the DB app (do not use previous settings when prompted).

Adi S.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dave's solution doesn't work (for version 3.8.8).

When relinked, DP creates default C:\User\USERNAME\Dropbox folder.

[windows 7]

Luis M.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello

You need to UNLINK your account and then link again.

Dropbox creates a new folder called just "Dropbox" o "My Dropbox" near your old "Dropbox (whatever)".

Active the synchronization in Dropbox say YES if asked you for Sync all the files in your dropbox to this folder

EXIT DROPBOX, move ALL your files from "Dropbox (whatever)" to the new "Dropbox" folder created, then ERASE the all "Dropbox (whatever)".

OPEN DROPBOX and RESUMEN SYNC

Wait until the SYNC is complete.

I discovered this today and I'am doing this right now.

Regards.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Adi S. : you did it wrong, it worked for me just now.

Nexus T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I need to rename my dropbox for business folder.  I just want it to be g:\drobox not g\drobox(BUSINESS NAME).  How do I accomplish this?

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Nexus T.

You cant, the application keeps renaming it back to add the biz name if you did manage it.

(pretty rude of them really, changing folder names on biz customers, but I guess its who cares we have there money already, lets make it nice for the free account!)

Anyway, what you can do is create a symbolic link folder that mimics the original folder name.

(They were meant to do this for you but dont all the time)

If you on a windows machine, perfom a dos shell then in your case type 

MKLINK /D "G:\DROPBOX" "G:\DROPBOX (BIZ NAME)"

That will mimic the folder to the name you want (each of the folders is present, but they are the SAME location, so dont go and delete one thinking that you dont need it, as it deletes both)

Steve G.61
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've run into many programs that have problems with spaces and parenthesis in file names.

Is there any way to rename the dropbox folders so the names are more Unix/Mac friendly? Something like ~/Dropbox-Personal and ~/Dropbox-Company would be great.

Symbolic links to a directory doesn't help since OS X file open dialog converts these into the "official" name when you click through the symlink.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Is there any way to rename the dropbox folders so the names are more Unix/Mac friendly? 

Technically, no, there isn't. Dropbox will always use a space and parenthesis in the name for team accounts. However, see the response from a Dropboxer in the following post for a possible workaround.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Symbolic links to a directory doesn't help since OS X file open dialog converts these into the "official" name when you click through the symlink.

^

Thats a complete and total fail on the part of OSX

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

anchorball Explorer | Level 4
    dizern New member | Level 2
    johnmac1 New member | Level 2
    Vieira Explorer | Level 4
    JuhaPalomaki Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?