cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

Level 1

I don't notice it on Win8.1, but I have already hacked out a bunch of stuff in the registry on Win8.1. I have the Dropbox folder conveniently located in the root of a second hard drive, I don't need the link cluttering up the Navigation Pane, or the Desktop for that matter.

73 Replies

Re: How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

Level 5

Agreed. I have the Dropbox folder under "Quick access" -- I do not need or want it loitering elsewhere in the Navigation pane.

(Windows 10; paying Dropbox Pro user)

Re: How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

Super User II

That's a Windows 10 option; not Dropbox. Right-click it and select Unpin from Quick Access.

Level 5

I am referring to the Dropbox link in the navigation pane, not to anything in the Quick Access section.

></p>

Level 1

Yip, that one. 

Level 1

Here is how i got rid of it:

• Hit "Windows-Key + R", type "regedit" and then "OK".
  • Go to the paths
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\ShellFolder
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\ShellFolder
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\ShellFolder
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\ShellFolder
  • Double click on "Attributes"
  • Change the value from f080004d to f090004d
  • Open Task Manager and kill every "explorer.exe"-process under "Details"
  • Restart "explorer.exe" with "File -> New Task"

Level 1

Update : ... aaaaaaaaaaaand it's back.

Amazing ! This worked for me. 

The first 2 entries were empty in my Registry though, no ShellFolders at all, probably cause I already disabled some Dropbox right-click features with Glary/CCleaner before. So they may not be related to this particular issue.

I only had the last two, replaced them as you suggested, and this did the trick.

Thank you !

Level 1

It keeps coming back after a restart.

Level 5

Thank you, Gunnar. That worked beautifully.

Level 5

I spoke too soon. It has returned. Examining the registry, the "Attributes" value changed back to "f080004d". And after several edits and reboots, this has reverted back several times. So something in Dropbox itself is actively preventing me from removing this obnoxious link in the navigation pane.

I'm pretty annoyed. I do not like paying money for something that then wastes my time and ignores my wishes.

How might one file a formal complaint with the people I gave my money for Dropbox Pro?

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?
73 Replies
88 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post