cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Why do my files take up space on my computer?

Level 3

Why does Dropbox store all of its files in my "User" folder on my hard drive? The whole point of using Dropbox was to keep my hard drive free of  all the files. I'm now out of disk space due to the Dropbox files.

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Computer disk space

Super User II

You've misunderstood the purpose of Dropbox and how it works. Dropbox not a cloud-based folder or drive where your files are only stored online. It's a file synchronization service, meant to keep a copy of the files that you save on your local drive in-sync with the copy in your account and on any other linked computer. The Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other and it takes up space on your drive.

If you want to save space on your local drive then you can use Selective Sync to remove the local copy of certain folders. Just know that you'll only be able to access those folders through the Dropbox website if you remove them from your computer. Also, make sure that a folder is completely synced (green check mark) before you remove it with Selective Sync.

Community Manager
Community Manager
[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/forums/postpage/category-id/101001000]

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2
then no point of paying every month for just sync service
Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why do my files take up space on my computer?
3 Replies
34 Likes
Solved! : See solution