Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Dropbox desktop app keeps restarting with error, won't sync

Helpful | Level 6

Ok so I've had this probelem since yesterday.

I've already tried advanced reinstall, which didn't work.

I tried again with selective sync set to only 1 little folder, with dropbox root folder set to new directory, also didn't help.

I constantly get an error:

2019-10-06 (3).png

It's in Polish, It says: Dropbox unexpectedly stopped working. Your files are safe (...) [Close] [Restart Dropbox app].

I don't use any antivirus, I've disabled built in Win 10 security scans etc.

I don't use symlinks.

None of community posts or articles helped. The problem won't go away.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you, Maciej.

23 Replies

Re: Dropbox desktop app keeps restarting with error, won't sync

Star Collaborator | Level 18
<p>HI <li-user login="maciejplater" uid="549491"></li-user>,</p>
<p>There is a link (blue colored) pointing to debug info. Post this debug info, so would be one more idea what's going on and probably somebody would be able help you. 😉</p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

Helpful | Level 6

You're talking about the link in error popup that i've posted? Unfortunately it's just an url to help center: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/unexpected-quit

Helpful | Level 6

One little clue: if I pause syncing then Dropbox won't shut down. So it must be an issue with the process, not application.

Also, this is how my Dropbox folder looks like (.cache folder is empty all the time; .dropbox won't change too):

2019-10-06 (4).png

Oh.. My mistake. Usually such links point debug info...
Anyways, Did you try Unlink (from Preferences, Account tab) and install some earlier stable build (80.4...., for example)? Select offline install! Before reinstall, make sure "Early releases" in your account settings is turn off. Try at least... 😉
Hope this helps.

Helpful | Level 6

I thought about installing earlier version, but couldn't find where to download it from, so it will be 100% trusted.

Update: Even if I have ZERO folders in selectiv sync, the problem still occurs... Does it mean, that there is no problem with my files that I have syncronized when it worked?

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you very much, will try.

Helpful | Level 6

It's frustrating as even when I use earlier installer, I can't force Dropbox NOT TO update it's version.

I'm a paying user, so it hurts even more... I have never been even considering using Early release, because I needed to trust that "stable" ones. I don't play with that software, I work with it. This situation is unacceptable. Many hours lost with this issue, and still no solution.

Do you 'unkink' before reinstall and use offline install? If usual install is used, latest stable version is downloaded. Usually initialization is problematic, so least initialization have to be completed, after that normally follow update to latest stable version (it's normal).
There is a different case, but could be useful. Take a look: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Desperately-to-get-rid-of-unstable-Beta-Build-...
Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox desktop app keeps restarting with error, won't sync
23 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post