cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to access preference menu on linux

Unable to access preference menu on linux

Unic0
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I just wanted to move the Dropbox folder location through the preference menu but I just can't access the any menu at all.

See below :

Screenshot from 2017-07-14 13-19-14.png

What should I do ?

Regards,

U

27 Replies 27

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @bellb300, thanks for posting us here on the matter!

As this is has been an earlier discussion, we may need to start afresh on a new thread, though I’m interested if any if the comments (or troubleshooting advised above) matches what you’re currently experiencing. Have you had a chance to do a re-installation following the steps I’ve included above incidentally? 

Can you let me know whether you’ve fulfilled all the requirements for Linux listed here? I’d like us to focus specifically on the Qt 5.5, since if you have a different version, you’ll have to consult your OS or Qt documentation and then let us know if this discrepancy persists. 

Following, it may be worth installing TopIcons as it is called out as a requirement for the app indicator (tray icon). 

Let me know of how my suggestions work for you & I’ll do my best to follow-up on this discussion asap!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

willows
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. I cant use dropbox on my linux!!!! Fix the bug plz.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that you can’t access the Preferences menu @willows. Can you let me know of your current configuration? Also, have you tried following the steps I’ve posted to Unico in the first page of this thread, in order to re-install the Dropbox application anew?

Please do let me know of the results you get & your findings & I’ll do my best to further advise you in the matter. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

maximecb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. There is definitely something wrong with the plugin. Please fix it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @maximecb, would you mind sharing some more details with us here in regards to your configuration & the troubleshooting steps you’ve followed so far, in order to make sure I’m following-up with you on the right thing? Thanks in advance!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

maximecb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found how to fix it. I'm on xubuntu 18.04. There is a new indicator plugin that you have to ask for the task bar. With the new indicator plugin, the dropbox icon works, but not with the default indicator plugin.

Kleajmp F.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

So can you tell us what plugin? How to find/install it?

AudunX
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I cannot see why this is marked solved. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04, with gnome-flashback. I cannot run Dropbox as it will totally fill my home dir, and I cannot access dropbox pref. Please tell me how to move the Dropbox folder from the command line (then I can at least start using it).

AudunX
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I was able to solve the problem by following the instructions here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029225/how-to-fix-broken-nautilus-dropbox-icon-in-ubuntu-18-04-gnom...

carlo_navarro
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I stumbled across this because of issues running dropbox on elementary os. 

I did the recommendation above to run the headless version of dropbox - and it looks like it installed! 

My question now tho is how do I access the preferences with this installation. I would like to change the folder in which Dropbox syncs. (change from the default /home/Dropbox)

Cheers,

Need more support?