cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto quality for Dropbox Replay

Auto quality for Dropbox Replay

Tokki
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

Does anyone know how to set 'auto resolution' for Dropbox Replay?

And it seems that changing the resolution doesn't actually work immediately. For example, if I lower the resolution from 1080p to 480p during playback, the resolution is still 1080p. This especially happens in the first few minutes right after the video starts.

스크린샷 2024-02-05 041132.png

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @Tokki! Hope you’re well. 

At the moment, there’s no auto resolution option in Dropbox Replay. However, please feel free to post an idea about this here, so that others can see it and vote for it, as well. Our team regularly monitors them too and they may implement this in the future.

As for the other thing you mention, do you see any difference in your video resolution after a bit? Is this happening for all videos that you’ve saved on Dropbox Replay? 

Finally, have you tested this via different browsers to see if the behavior persists?

Let me know how it goes.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tokki
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Nancy 

Although Dropbox Replay doesn't have an auto-resolution option, Dropbox Reply actually changes streaming video resolution based on internet speeds even if clients fix the resolution manually. This confuses clients like the default volume level issue that I mentioned earlier.

For the first 15 seconds or so, there doesn't seem to be any difference by video resolution change. And this happens to different videos in different browsers as well.

Tokki
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Nancy

Here's one more thing that I've just found!

Dropbox Reply drops streaming video resolution from 1080p to 720p (or lower) due to slow internet speeds, then it increases back to 1080p when there are enough pre-loading segments of data. However, at this point, sometimes Dropbox Reply stops updating buffer objects.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Tokki - sorry to jump in here and thank you for the feedback on this. I've noted it down on our system - you can let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Tokki
Helpful | Level 5

Many thanks @Walter

Another issue is that Dropbox Reply doesn't seem to pick the best streaming resolution quickly based on internet speeds, especially during the first 20 seconds or so. At the beginning, the optimal resolution changes more frequently. And the resolution sometimes changes suddenly, for example from 480p directly to 1080p. This creates an inconsistent experience for users.

Tokki
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Walter 

The initial buffer seems insufficient. I think, this causes streaming from Dropbox Replay to become unstable at the beginning.

스크린샷 2024-02-07 055916.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tokki Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?