cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't share Google-Docs-files with "edit permission" to external people

Can't share Google-Docs-files with "edit permission" to external people

schaum55
Explorer | Level 4

So I started a company and bought Professioal Dropbox and G-Suite, to be able to have Google-Docs in my Dropbox, since we work from here with all our files. 

If I now create a "Google-Document" in Dropbox for a brainstorming session with a client, I CAN'T GET THIS FILE SHARED, so that the client can write with me in my doc. 

Is this supposed to be like this? I pay 2 Services and loose features, that the free ones easily provide? 
I suppose I just forgot a little box to be clicked or so. 

So please help me with this issue, if anyone knows the answer!

THANK YOU!

17 Replies 17

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @schaum55, thanks for posting on the Community!

Just to clarify, are you certain that you're creating a Google document directly on the Dropbox site?

When sharing the file, what options do you see, and what have you enabled?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

schaum55
Explorer | Level 4

I am creating a google doc in dropbox. Yes. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 20.45.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 20.33.59.png

Afterwards I push "freigabe" which means SHARE or kind of give other people permission

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 20.33.35.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 20.33.52.png

Then I send to my test mail, receive an email there and open in InCognito-Mode to be sure to seem like someone who does not have an account of dropbox or google docs. Just to see if it would work for anybody like it does, when you send a link of a google docs or at least when giving permission. 

But I simply get this:

A login-window to DROP BOX.. for seeing a simple google docs..

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 20.52.36.png

.. after typing my private account in there (I have one, but I don't expect my clients to have one) .. 
I am "logged in" ... 

BUT: 

only to dropbox.. 

not this comes:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 20.39.22.png

and after I type my account details here (I have one, but I don't expect my clients to have one) .. 

i get a second confirmation on phone google app (I have it, but I don't expect my clients to have it)

until I get this again:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 20.39.22.png

When I click "zurück zu Dropbox" which means "back to dropbox" click, I finally see the document (it is empty, but that's ok) but I am in COMMENT-MODE .. no chance to edit anything or so.. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-07 um 20.59.08.png

Thats it. No chance to edit. 

I am not sure, but maybe I read even, that in dropbox-google-docs, only the team with the same Email-Domain can edit a document.. but this would make dropbox-google-docs-feature so so useless! 

I really hope I am wrong, since I get more with the free dropbox version than now, using to paid services.. 

thank you for your help, i hope I was clear! 

Matthias

Jay
Dropbox Staff

When you share a Google doc, the other user will need a Google or Dropbox account of their own to edit the file, as it doesn't allow for anonymous editing of files.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

schaum55
Explorer | Level 4

is it "or" or "AND" .. it seems the user needs both and still can't edit! .. 

this is what I mean. 

can you give me a test-e-Mail-Adresse of yours, and so see if you can edit the file. 

Actuall I think "AND" is not even enough, but when you have google-account AND dropbox-account, you will also need an email with the domain of mine... 

schaum55
Explorer | Level 4

if this doesn't work, it totally misses the point of sharing files for me : ( .. 
I am still in 15 days testing mode, so would be nice to finde a solution, otherwise dropbox won't work for me anymore..

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Just to clarify, even with a Google account and a Dropbox account, they can't edit the Google doc you created?

If this is the case, and you're on a trial, you could contact the support team directly for further assistance on this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

schaum55
Explorer | Level 4

Oh, actually I found out, that sharing is only possible with a domain-ending as mine.. 

I am off, love dropbox though, but the google-integration did not do its thing for me yet... 

thank you so much for your help and time!
And I think that nothing is your fault, but privacy rules about who can see what document etc. that are nessesary from law or so.. 

still, for now, I will say goodbye to dropbox that I used the last 5 years and say hi to google. they won, for now!

Allvitende
Explorer | Level 4

I'm having this same issue. This doesn't make a lot of sense. It also does not line up with what was pitched by Dropbox itself on the page selling the feature (in red below): https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/product-tips/google-docs-sheets-slides

• Manage access. Whether you’re sharing directly from Dropbox or by creating a link, you can grant recipients edit or view-only access. You can also set permissions to team-only—to keep work inside your company—or anyone, for sharing outside your Dropbox Business team. And since sharing is managed by Dropbox, there’s nothing additional for team admins to manage.

Is this an oversight or am I not understanding something. I have reached out to support and they also don't know how to fix the issue.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Allvitende, are you sharing the file from within a team folder, shared folder, or a private folder on your account?

Have you made any restrictions to file sharing from the admin console?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tunahan New member | Level 2
    Luc-FJ Helpful | Level 7
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?