cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cloud Sync not working as before since Dropbox Business update

Cloud Sync not working as before since Dropbox Business update

mg67
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi all, first post here, and I'm not sure where to post this, since I don't know the solution yet.

We have a Dropbox Business subscription running with 15 users using several terabytes, more than our client computers can store. There are 3 main shared folders at the root folder, accessible to all users.

And we have Synology NAS server which was configured to copy all data to its RAID5 storage (enough space), so we have a local copy of all data. This was done using the Cloud Sync app on the NAS. It was configured like a Dropbox user, with its own account and subscription.

Since the Dropbox Business update, which renamed the root folder and added separate folders for each user, the NAS client does not see the shared folders anymore, and it simply removed all data from the NAS. When trying to set up the client again, the shared folders are not visible.

Is there anything that can be done to get the previous backup solution working again? Maybe it is a problem with permissions?

Or do you suggest using another method to mirror all data locally to our NAS storage.

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mg67
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So… I found my answer after all, there are two connection types for Dropbox available in Cloud Sync:

• Dropbox
  • Dropbox Team Space

The fine print reads : "29. To sync the team folders of upgraded Dropbox Business accounts (Team Space), select Dropbox Team Space when creating the connection. To sync other folders or member folders in Dropbox, select Dropbox." Once you know you know.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mg67 wrote:

... the NAS client does not see the shared folders anymore, and it simply removed all data from the NAS. When trying to set up the client again, the shared folders are not visible.

First, keep in mind that the Dropbox client on the NAS is created by the NAS company; not Dropbox. Any issues with it should be brought to the NAS company for support. Dropbox can't support it.

If the user on the NAS can no longer see the shared folders, have you tried inviting that user into the shares? The way I understand it, shared folders that were previously in the Team folder were moved into the user folder of the person that originally created/shared the folder. The NAS user could probably see everything in the Team folder previously without being explicitly invited to the shares, but now that those shares have been moved, the user probably needs to be invited to the share.

mg67
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply Rich. 

The user configured to do the backups has access to all folders, it was working before the Dropbox Business update. When using the web browser to access the Dropbox root folder with this user account, all folders are visible. There must have been a change in the way Dropbox presents the folders, and this change happened with the Dropbox Business update. So I was hoping to find a solution on the Dropbox side, I am aware that Dropbox doesn't provide the NAS application.

Or maybe advice on other ways to make a complete backup of all Dropbox data to our local NAS storage?

In the screenshot below, you can see the user folder "Rackstation Synology" and the shared teams folders (in CAPS). They are those that are not visible anymore when trying to backup. The user "Rackstation Synology" is member of the TEAM (the greyed out words), like all other members too.

Maybe should I try to give administration rights to the user "Rackstation Synology"? Or it this dangerous?

Capture d’écran 2022-11-30 à 09.38.18.png

mg67
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So… I found my answer after all, there are two connection types for Dropbox available in Cloud Sync:

• Dropbox
  • Dropbox Team Space

The fine print reads : "29. To sync the team folders of upgraded Dropbox Business accounts (Team Space), select Dropbox Team Space when creating the connection. To sync other folders or member folders in Dropbox, select Dropbox." Once you know you know.

Need more support?