cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Business authentication timeout settings in Word.

Dropbox Business authentication timeout settings in Word.

sa56426
New member | Level 2

Hi there!

I've noticed that when I am working on a Word file stored in my Dropbox Business account, the Office 365 Word app would close every X minutes and throw me back to the Dropbox login screen. From there, I need to login again into my Dropbox Business account, open the file and resume editing. This happens regardless of my activity in the Word app, and in particular, can happen in the middle of writing a sentence!

Is there a security setting I can control to prevent that from happening, or at the very least to increase X to some reasonable number?

If not, is there any user-specific timeout setting my IT department can tweak to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance!

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sa56426, let's jump right into this! 

Odd behavior, that makes me think this is related to Office 365 and not Dropbox, but let's dive into this. 

Do you notice this behavior on a specific browser you're working on, or all of them? Also, do you experience the same problem with other applications like Excel, PowerPoint, etc...?

I don't think there is a Dropbox-related setting on our end, that can control this. And after checking on my end, all the Office settings I could find in the Admin console weren't related to a timeout setting.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sa56426
New member | Level 2

Thanks, Megan, for this prompt response!

Yes, the same behavior happens with different browsers. I will try a different Office 365 app, but I suspect this is not something specific to Word. FWIW, I am also using MS Outlook app (not through Dropbox, obviously) and that session stays open as long as my browser is open.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

No problem at all @sa56426!

If you could send me a few screenshots demonstrating the steps that you follow on your end, and the log-in screen that the app redirects you to, that'd be amazing.

It'd help us have a visual too. In any case, make sure none of your personal info is visible there, and I'll definitely look into this and get back to you. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    sa56426 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?