cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox changing settings and files created in Word.

Dropbox changing settings and files created in Word.

persprof
Explorer | Level 4

When I save or put Word files in Dropbox, when I go back to work on them, I am getting the message that they are Read Only, even though that's not my setting in Word.  I then can't save the work that I've just done.  In addition, sometimes Word files end up having their names changed to a long string of letters and digits, and I get the message that they are saved into a folder titled old.files--but no search reveals that file, nor can Word access the file once that has happened.  I'm losing my mind here!

13 Replies 13

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @persprof, thanks for posting here! 

Can you clarify the platform you're using, in order to edit your Word files? Do you use our desktop, or mobile app? 

Have you made sure that both Word and your Dropbox app are up to date, and that you're using their latest versions in case you're using your mobile? 

Does that happen with all of your files, or a specific file type? Can you also send me a few screenshots of the steps you follow, and the error you receive on your end, along with the file names changing in order for me to have a clear visual? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

persprof
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan, 

-I use the desktop app.

-I'm using the latest version

-so far it has only happened with Word files.  It has happened on 2 computers, one I know has the most up to date version of Word; the other one I'll have to check (one is at home and one is at work).

-Confusingly, it doesn't happen every time, but I will take screen shots the next time it happens and post those.

Thanks! Julie

persprof
Explorer | Level 4

I've attached screenshots below, showing what happens when a Word file I've been working on (that lives in a folder in Dropbox) becomes uneditable.Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 1.38.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-26 at 1.38.53 PM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @persprof, I can see that the file is located in the Dropbox cache folder, which isn't meant to be the place to open, edit or save files. Most likely, you're trying to edit a cache copy, hence all the permission issues.

Could you try locating the real file in your Dropbox folder and try editing it from there instead?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

persprof
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

I hope you're feeling patient, because this gets complicated. ;).  The problem is that sometimes I can go into the real file and open the doc and edit.  But sometimes when I try to do this, I am told that the real file (original file I was working on) is "Read only," and it won't allow me to make edits.  Other time, the caching to old.files happens while I've still got the Word doc open (just haven't worked on it for awhile), and when I go back, I can't save or do any editing because it's become Read Only.    I know it would be easier to diagnose if it happened all the time in a consistent way, but it doesn't. 

THanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you clarify exactly how you 'open' the file? 

Are you going into Recents in Finder, and you opening it directly from the Dropbox folder, or by opening Word and navigating to the file?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

persprof
Explorer | Level 4

I don't go to Recents in Dropbox, but I do go to the folder for a document and double-click to open it from there. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info, @persprof.

If you just quit the Dropbox app, do these issues you're having still persist?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

S-Etherea
Explorer | Level 4

Same happening to me. Since the recent update, when using the Android App, all Word files are 'read only' when opened through dropbox, yet fine on my desktop app. This is the same folder and files that I've used no problems before. I can't even save a word file on my Android to dropbox. I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling, now it tells me I have to update the app to open word files. Sadly, the app is up to date 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    S-Etherea Explorer | Level 4
    persprof Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?