cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MAC: Why does Dropbox appear in iCloud Drive settings?

MAC: Why does Dropbox appear in iCloud Drive settings?

jrc2
Helpful | Level 5

In my Mac's System Preferences for iCloud, iCloud Drive has an Options button next to it. Clicking that shows a list of apps below a statement "Apps which can store documents and data in iCloud will appear here." Most are Apple apps like Mail, Calendar, and other Apple apps. And I understand why I would want to turn them on or off. There are also 2 or 3 third party apps as well, like my Calendar replacement, a PDF editing app, and a graphics app that can share files between my Macs so I can edit images anywhere.

But Dropbox is listed here too. Can anyone tell me WHY it is here and WHAT it reads/writes to iCloud? There is nothing in the iCloud Drive that is obviously Dropbox related, and no items that are duplicated in the Dropbox folder. The iCloud Drive folder (as well as looking at them in a browser logged into iCloud) only shows folders Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Shortcuts, and those 3rd party apps. Dropbox is not one of them. Apps which appear here have to have iCloud functionality built in to them...not all installed apps appear here.

So I'm trying to understand why Dropbox has this ability built in, and what it's for. And can I turn it off, or is it syncing some Dropbox settings between my Dropbox equipped computers on the same account? Does it have something to do with syncing photos (I do not use Dropbox's feature to backup my iPhone photos)?

Below is a screenshot of Dropbox appearing in the iCloud Drive pane:

iCloud preferences.png

8 Replies 8

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jrc2, I hope you had a good weekend!

Thanks for sharing that screenshot and info with us. I'm just checking on this from my side to make sure that I have the correct info for you, I'll be back with an update as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions in the meantime, let me know here.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

savagekevin
New member | Level 2

I have this question too

have we got an answer yet?

jrc2
Helpful | Level 5

It's been a month. I've not heard back from anyone!!

jrc2
Helpful | Level 5

@Daphne have you found anything on this yet?

@Daphne wrote:

Hey @jrc2, I hope you had a good weekend!

Thanks for sharing that screenshot and info with us. I'm just checking on this from my side to make sure that I have the correct info for you, I'll be back with an update as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions in the meantime, let me know here.

Thanks!

SuburbanFlamingo
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same question. I'm disappointed that there is no answer.

Putzy
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox you need to be open and transparent about this. WHY is Dropbox accessing my iCloud????? 

This instantly sounds like a security issue for me and I want to turn it off, but I'm worried i will lose some functionality or more importantly lose files. Pretty sure I won't but I have some senstive information in my dropbox and I can't lose it, or have it leaked.

Please treat this issue as  serious priority. We need answers.

jrc2
Helpful | Level 5

@Putzy , thanks for adding your voice to this. I can't understand why nobody from Dropbox has found the answer for this, or at least reported it here.

@Daphne could you PLEASE check on this for us? It's been another 4 weeks with no response. We need to know how Dropbox is related to iCloud and whether or not this is something we can remove/turn-off.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in getting back to you here!

I'm still waiting on an update on this from my end, but I'll be sure to get back to you here as soon as I have some more info to share with you on this.

Thanks for your patience so far!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?