cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate files to Google Drive vs. convert to Microsoft Office files?

Migrate files to Google Drive vs. convert to Microsoft Office files?

lisa40
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I got an email that says "Google files in Dropbox will be replaced with shortcuts to documents in Google Drive" and "If you do not wish to move your Google files to your Google account, they will be automatically converted to Microsoft files." I'm not sure which option to choose. I mostly use Dropbox to store Word files, most of which were originally created using Microsoft Word but since I usually use Dropbox in a web browser, I've been opening them and creating them using Google docs for years now. Which option is least likely to result in reformatting issues? Which will be easiest to use going forward if I'm mostly just editing and creating text documents?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lisa40, thanks for posting your question to the Dropbox Community!

What will happen when this migration takes place, is that your Google files will become .web files in Dropbox that point to the same file in Google Drive, so you can edit and share the file through Google directly.

If you decide to not migrate them and they get converted to MS Office files, you can still edit them online, using the corresponding MS Office app for the web, through our website.

So, this is basically up to you and how you prefer to edit and share your files.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lisa40, thanks for posting your question to the Dropbox Community!

What will happen when this migration takes place, is that your Google files will become .web files in Dropbox that point to the same file in Google Drive, so you can edit and share the file through Google directly.

If you decide to not migrate them and they get converted to MS Office files, you can still edit them online, using the corresponding MS Office app for the web, through our website.

So, this is basically up to you and how you prefer to edit and share your files.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

lisa40
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks so much for the explanation! This is very helpful.

Traub
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Apologies up front if this is already addressed, but if so, I can't find it. I need help understanding the Dropbox/Google changes that are taking place.  Here is my simplistic reading. If I search my Dropbox account for .gdoc, .gsheet, or .gslide files (I've only found one), those files will be moved to google drive unless I convert them (it) to a Microsoft format. Even if I don't convert it and it moves, there will still be a link from Dropbox to the google drive file. Is this all correct?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Traub, thanks for posting!

I moved your post to this thread with more relevant info about your query.

You got it exactly right, but you can read more about it above as well.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

michenk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I got an email saying this migration had happened but never saw the email that warned me it was going to take place to stop it. Can I revert back to Google files? How do I stop this from happening again? thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @michenk, I'm afraid that this is not something that can be undone.

However, as a workaround, you should be able to just use Google Docs etc, to recreate your files, by creating new ones and copying the contents from the files that were converted.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

bsuarez
Explorer | Level 4

Few questions about this migration happening on August 14th:

• Firstly, I understand .gdoc and other Google file formats will be moved to Google Drive. Currently, we block the creation of Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides due to company compliance. (In our Google Admin center, we have unchecked the box that states "Allow users to create new Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings and Forms files. Collaboration on existing files won’t be affected." So my question is, how would these files be moved and created in Google Drive? Will they be moved, and will we will be able to collaborate on them? Currently we do not have any Google Workspace licenses assigned to any of our users since Dropbox is our official cloud storage. According to Google, a Workspace license is required to collaborate on Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Many of our users have been collaborating on .gdocs and .gsheets within Dropbox for years and not only will this change be confusing, there is a possibility of data loss since the files are moving to Drive which is current prevented due to company compliance via Google Admin control.

your Google files will become .web files in Dropbox that point to the same file in Google Drive, so you can edit and share the file through Google directly.

We currently cannot do this due to the prevention of creating new Docs, Sheets, and Slides. So how would that work?

• Secondly, is there a way to force all of our Dropbox users to convert files into Office documents? I understand I am the admin so I was sent a warning, but in order to stay within compliance, we cannot have any of our users store files that used to be in Dropbox, within Google Drive. I cannot guarantee folks will follow these steps, so I would like to know how to force the conversion on Aug 14, instead of moving the files.
  • Finally, is there a way to test migrating some of these Docs and Sheets? Just so I can understand the user experience and data loss risk before the migration on August 14.

Please advise. We prefer to let the files convert to MS Office files since every employee has an Office 365 license, but I cannot seem to find an easy path to doing so so that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks,

Brian

***UPDATE: I just tried making a new Google Doc, using their API and I received a 500: Internal Server Error so I am concerned that when the files migrate, they will yield the same response error. Is that how you will be moving the files to Drive?

***UPDATE #2: I tried to move a test file by creating a Google Docs document, slicking Save As... and selecting Google Docs Shortcut... and I received an error

Untitled (2).gdoc couldn't be saved to Google Drive (Server error).

bsuarez
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I had a few questions about this migration happening on August 14th:

• Firstly, I understand .gdoc and other Google file formats will be moved to Google Drive. Currently, we block the creation of Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides due to company compliance. (In our Google Admin center, we have unchecked the box that states "Allow users to create new Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings and Forms files. Collaboration on existing files won’t be affected." So my question is, how would these files be moved and created in Google Drive? Currently we do not have any Google Workspace licenses assigned to any of our users since Dropbox is our official company cloud storage. According to Google, a Workspace license is required to collaborate on Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Many of our users have been collaborating on .gdocs and .gsheets within Dropbox for years and not only will this change be confusing, there is a possibility of data loss since the files are moving to Drive which is current prevented due to company compliance via Google Admin control.

• Secondly, is there a way to force all of our Dropbox users to convert files into Office documents? I understand I am the admin so I was sent a warning, but in order to stay within compliance, we cannot have any of our users store files that used to be in Dropbox, within Google Drive. I cannot guarantee folks will follow these steps, so I would like to know how to force the MS Office conversion on Aug 14, instead of moving the files to Google Drive.

• Finally, is there a way to test migrating some of these Docs and Sheets? Just so I can understand the user experience and data loss risk before the migration on August 14. I tried making a new Google Doc, using their API and I received a 500: Internal Server Error so I am concerned that when the files migrate, they will yield the same response error. Is that how you will be moving the files to Drive? I also tried to move a test file by creating a Google Docs document, slicking Save As... and selecting Google Docs Shortcut... and I received an error "Untitled (2).gdoc couldn't be saved to Google Drive (Server error)."

Please advise. We prefer to let the files convert to MS Office files since every employee has an Office 365 license, but I cannot seem to find an easy path to doing so so that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks,

Brian

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bsuarez, thanks for posting here! 

Keep in mind that you will be able to convert the Google files (.gdoc, .gsheet, .gslide) to the equivalent Microsoft Office file formats (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx).

As you’ve mentioned (that your team already has), to continue editing, an additional Microsoft Office license may be needed.

Now in regards to your second question, then yes, if the Google Drive integration is disabled, your team’s files will automatically be converted to the Microsoft Office equivalents.

Admins can also use the team activity log (https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/view-activity) to review the upload and conversion decisions made by team members.

Once again, if no action is taken, your files will be automatically converted into Microsoft Office formats since we are unable to link your Google and Dropbox accounts.

I hope this helps!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hank B.2 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    bsuarez Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?