cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password safe file location

Password safe file location

medicman1855
New member | Level 2

I use the App "Password Safe" for my passwords. I use Dropbox to sync my password data file between phone and computers. Where is the data file located so I can point my password manager to the proper file to open it. 

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Thats something you will need to ask the developer of the software you are using I'm afraid (i.e. Password Safe). It'll probably be installed somewhere in the 'Apps' folder. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

medicman
Explorer | Level 3

To better explain: My passwords are kept in a file called "Johns.Dat" . That file is on my computer in the Dropbox folder called "Data" My question is "Where does Dropbox keep that file on my Galaxy S22+ so I can point my "Password Safe" App to it. I used to be able to go to Dropbox, locate the file in the Data folder, click on the data file and it would automatically load the Password Safe app so I could then access my passwords. It will no longer open the Password Safe app, so I need to point my app to the data file. So where is it located.

Rich
Super User II

@medicman wrote:

Where does Dropbox keep that file on my Galaxy S22+ so I can point my "Password Safe" App to it.

Dropbox stores offline files in a part of the file system that is not user accessible.

It will no longer open the Password Safe app, so I need to point my app to the data file. So where is it located.

You'll need to download the file to your phone's storage and then open the file from there.

medicman
Explorer | Level 3

So I assume, that file will never be regularly synced between my computer and phone. As I add passwords or update them I would have to re download my data file? So much for Dropbox keeping my files synced.

Rich
Super User II

@medicman wrote:

So I assume, that file will never be regularly synced between my computer and phone. As I add passwords or update them I would have to re download my data file?

Correct.

Most password managers don't work the way you describe. They connect directly to Dropbox using the API, rather than relying on local file access on the device. Remember, Dropbox on mobile devices don't sync the same way the desktop apps do. The only files stored on the device are those you mark as available offline, and then those files are stored in a protected storage area.

medicman
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for discussing this with me. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

medicman Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?