cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

So this just happened today. I can't create new Word or Excel files, nor can I edit existing ones. There is now a paywall that says I need a commercial Office 365 version.

Um what?

Working for an org that has a number of remote colleagues, we rely on being able to share and collaborate on our in-progress work. Having to pay for an essential embedded program on top of a subscription, without any warning, is not cool. 

93 Replies 93

jurgen_barbieur
Helpful | Level 5

as from dropbox support, the supported office licenses are mentioned in the following article. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-and-DropBox-frequently-asked-questions-88931030-47f9...

please note that "business essentials" is not listed...

regards

WD
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Yesterday I was told by Dropbox Support that you were working on this issue.

Any news ?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey peeps, thank you all for the continuous updates!

@GJensen, I've contacted you at the email address that's associated with your Community profile. 

Please have a look at your inbox for my message and we'll have a look at it together. 

Thank you in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @WD,

Since you're already in contact with our Support team for this issue, I'd recommend contacting the agent handling your case for an update. You'll receive any updates first and foremost through your communication with the team via email.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help here!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MrRogers83
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox support has officially "solved" the issue. Here is what I was told:

Our engineers have been looking into this issue with Office365 integration. There has been a fix to a license verification problem on our side.

However, to edit a document in Office for the web (edit mode), Dropbox Business users need an Office 365 suite license, such as one of the following.

Office 365 Business
Office 365 Business Premium
Office 365 Pro Plus
Office 365 E3
Office 365 E4
Office 365 E5

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-and-DropBox-frequently-asked-questions-88931030-47f9...

So really the issue is their salespeople have been misleading customers by omitting the fact that Office online integration requires you also have an Office 365 account if you have a business version of Dropbox.

The reason we all are so confused right now is because Dropbox's system wasn't verifying that we had O365 licenses when it should have been the entire time, but they have now fixed that issue.

Bummer. Being able to work in Office online via Dropbox was a major selling point, and if we want to continue having access it's going to cost us a whole lot more.

TommyAC
New member | Level 2

None of my excel sheets saved in my dropbox are opening through the online microsoft excel. To be able to view them or work on them I have to download them to my computer. I want to be able to open them online and edit online. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @TommyAC,

To look into this further I've reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile. Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll go from there.

Thanks! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

HeidiZ
New member | Level 2

Hello,

For the past few months I've been able to open files online. Now it's asking me to sign-in to my Office 365, which I've also had and been using. However, when I enter the email address, that I have confirmed is correct and reset the password that I've checked and works, I'm getting a prompt that the username is incorrect. The prompt to sign-in appeared from one day to another and still doesn't seem to work.

Also, I've tried to open the files in different web browsers and I'm either getting a prompt to log-in to Office 365 (which isn't working) or it's just a clear screen that won't change regardless of how many times I refresh or relaunch the file.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for the help 🙂

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @EllKay,

Just as a side note, I've merged your post here as it pertains to the same issue.

I've reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile so that we can look into this a bit further. Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

TommyAC
New member | Level 2

Hi Dafne - I've replied to the email you sent me but I still haven't gotten a response

Need more support?