cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

"Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Hey folks,

When viewing dropbox files from the Safari browser (Safari v 13.0) I can no longer see the "Show in Finder" or 'Open in Word" / "Open in Adobe Acrobat" options for files. 

I also have Chrome installed on my Mac (v77.0.3865.90) and I can confirm that these DO work on Chrome. See pics below.

These items used to show in Safari, however it seems that after updating to Safari v13.0 this has stopped working. 

Any ideas for resolution would be gratefully received as Safari is my default browser. 

Cheers,

Scott

Safari Browser.png

Chrome Browser 1.png

109 Replies 109

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @JR25, @PR8, @geosinclair, @Scott H., would it be possible to contact you at the emails provided on your forum profile to investigate this matter further?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jondotcom
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay 

Ideally the entire community is updated on progress on this matter. I too have been (patiently) waiting for an update on this matter, and I am subscribed to this thread.

While I think it's great that you're offering to contact a few recently-vocal members of the community about this matter, it is relevant to anyone who has macOS and looking to use Safari as part of their daily workflow alongside Dropbox.

I am "stuck" using Chrome and only doing so in order to utilize Dropbox for Business. I imagine there are many folks like me, just watching this thread and waiting for an update. I fear taking the conversation offline won't be helpful to the broader community who are awaiting some kind of word on progress on this issue, even though we're not continually leaving comments asking for updates.

geosinclair
Helpful | Level 5
Yes, thanks Jay.

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7
Yes I agree. I’ve been waiting quite some time and the only update I’ve had was “we’re working on it”. Honestly, it doesn’t seem like you are. It’s been an issue for quite some time and doesn’t really seem that complicated since Chrome does have the function. Although I could be wrong of course.

But, even so, “Safari/Apple is preventing the use of this function because of x and y” is an answer/update too, I can imagine Apple’s strong stance on privacy causing some issues with this function. Or, if this isn’t a priority right now and we have to wait a few years until you have the time/manpower to fix it. If any such is the case, just say so? Probably most of us would understand to some degree and anyone reading would know what’s causing the long wait. And I for one would appreciate the honesty.

Now you’re just stringing us along without any real answers for two years already.

JR25
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

Yes, you may contact me. Looking forward to getting this issue resolved for our company and the rest of the community. I surely hope any input I can give you will help solve the problem. Hopefully we will have some good news to report to the community or at least a progress status.

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9
Good morning @Jay

Thanks for your reply. Yes please reach out via email and I’ll be happy to provide whatever information you need in support of solving this issue.

PR8
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay, you may contact me.

KristinJoys
Explorer | Level 4

Might I request help as well? I've been a Dropbox user with a paid pro account for over a decade and the lack of ability to open files via finder on my Mac from Safari is quite problematic for my workflows. It also does not work for me in Chrome-- the only options under "Open" are "Go to Folder" and "Connected Apps" when what I want is to "Show in Finder" or "Open in Finder." Thank you ☺️ 

KristinJoys
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Scott, I read through all of your posts & the replies (9 pages worth) and it sounds like you've had the most luck getting help from the team at Dropbox. Do you have a solution yet? If so, I'd love to learn from you. I've been a Dropbox user with a paid pro account for over a decade and the lack of ability to open files via finder on my Mac from Safari is quite problematic for my workflows. Thank you ☺️ 

KristinJoys
Explorer | Level 4

Oops, perhaps I should add that it also does not work for me in Chrome-- the only options under "Open" are "Go to Folder" and "Connected Apps" when what I want is to "Show in Finder" or "Open in Finder." 

Need more support?