cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Latest news

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Videos now supports auto-generated Video Transcriptions + Closed Captioning

Web Videos now supports auto-generated Video Transcriptions + Closed Captioning

derrickyee
Dropbox Product Manager

Hey folks!

My name is Derrick and I work on a team that improves the file preview and viewing experience at Dropbox. We are excited to announce two features on Dropbox.com to enhance your video viewing experience: video transcriptions and closed captioning.

Here’s how to use: Simply upload your video to Dropbox and voila! Your videos will have auto-generated transcripts and closed captioning at your disposal with a click of a button. Even more so - watch videos shared from your colleagues - and copy transcribed segments to instantly quote them in a presentation.

Tell me about your experience with our new features! We are all ears.

Help Center Article URL: https://help.dropbox.com/view-edit/transcript-closed-captions

Video Transcription + CC.png

9 Replies 9

man_of_vision
Explorer | Level 4

I really appreciate the Transcription feature on Replay. However, it would be even better if my clients could access it when I submit a review. There are times when I need them to choose specific sound bites from interviews with their staff members, and they also want to see the transcript. Although I can download it and send them a copy, it would be more convenient and efficient if they could view the transcript as a client. This way, they can highlight the exact words they want me to use and in the correct order. This would be an amazing addition!

jaflady
New member | Level 2

This is a very useful addition and works well with one caveat.  There seems to be no way to edit a transcription.  Thus a very useful possibility is

immediately voided since no auto-transcription is without errors.  I have now tried it several times and each attempt was about 85% correct.  The

problem is that the errors were serious "wrong" or "combined" words  - misspellings of names, places, and or sound-alike words.  Thus I cannot

actually use it.  I hope that you can figure out how that can be corrected and then it would be a delight to use the function.  

derrickyee
Dropbox Product Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We have noted this internally and will actively look into adding this feature in the future.

kried
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @man_of_vision , wanted to let you know we have added the option for your collaborators to see/download the transcript of the file as long as you share a view + comment link with them -- and if you yourself have the Replay Add-On.  Let me know if you have any other trouble with this feature!

videoguru
Helpful | Level 5

Finally! Thank you so much for adding these features to Dropbox

AdalB
New member | Level 2

A couple questions:

1. Is it possible to search videos based on the transcripts contents?
  2. I read in the help article that video transcripts get deleted after 45 days... is it possible to turn off the auto-delete to preserve them?

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @AdalB,

To answer your questions:

1. Searching videos by transcript contents is not available at this time, but I have passed this feedback on.
  2. It's not possible to turn off automatic deletion, but you can re-enable transcripts after they expire to re-transcribe the video. It's also worth noting that Dropbox Replay allows you to download transcripts.

Regards,

Ben

MarisaM
Explorer | Level 3

Is there a way to disable transcription?

If not would it be possible to add this feature to dropbox?

derrickyee
Dropbox Product Manager

There are two ways to disable the feature: 

1. If you do not interact with the transcription functionality, the video will not be transcribed and is effectively disabled. For all files that were already transcribed, they will be removed from your cache after 45 days. 

2. Under settings, there is an option under "Third-party AI Features" that would disable the functionality completely. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

derrickyee Dropbox Product Manager
    MarisaM Explorer | Level 3
    BenDBX Community Manager
    AdalB New member | Level 2
    videoguru Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?