cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any easy way to find duplicate files?

Is there any easy way to find duplicate files?

Tam A.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is not really a space issue, I have lots, but I have nearly 1000 ebooks that I sometimes file in multiple places. (No, I don't use the dreaded Kindle thanks.) So I may download it in a "holiday reading" folder, then I may also download in the "Publishers folder" and at some point I may have reviewed it and moved it to the "author" folder and then maybe I have forgotten that I downloaded it in the "lost interest in this" folder. So there could be anywhere from 1-4 version of a book floating around. 

If I search specifically by name it shows me all of the versions and then I can delete the ones that are in the "wrong" place, but I don't have the time or inclination (despite my love of procrastination by rearranging files) to search 1000 titles. So is there a simple Dropbox search function for duplicates, or do I have to download some kind of app that will do the job. Can you download file titles and locations to a spreadsheet? At least that would let me filter/sort and then go back and find the ones I want to delete.

If that's required, I don't want one that automatically deletes duplicates, I want to pick which ones are required, but if you have any recommendations of on that is easy to use and pretty much straight forward (nothing fancy required, just find the duplicates (or those that may have a similar name since sometimes they get saved with slightly different titles), I'd appreciate the help. 

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

behzod
Super User
Go to solution

Hi,

As @Rich mentioned Dropbox doesn't have built-in duplicate file search function. But your problem can easily be solved using 3rd party applications. There are a lot of them for any operating system (Just Google: Duplicate file finder).

My personal favorite is: CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download). It is free, available for Windows and Mac.

Here is my instructions for finding dupes using CCleaner:

1. Open CCleaner.
2. Select Tools from the left sidebar.
3. Choose Duplicate Finder.
4. In the next window you can modify your query based on file type, file size, location of the folder, etc.
5. Click the Search button to start the scan.
6. Select the files you’d like to remove and hit delete

Here is the screenshot of the interface of this application. It is really user friendly and works really fast.

Hope this information helps.

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Dropbox doesn't have a feature to find duplicate files. You'll need to use a third-party utility and run it against the Dropbox folder on your computer, assuming you're syncing all of your files to your computer.

behzod
Super User
Go to solution

Hi,

As @Rich mentioned Dropbox doesn't have built-in duplicate file search function. But your problem can easily be solved using 3rd party applications. There are a lot of them for any operating system (Just Google: Duplicate file finder).

My personal favorite is: CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download). It is free, available for Windows and Mac.

Here is my instructions for finding dupes using CCleaner:

1. Open CCleaner.
2. Select Tools from the left sidebar.
3. Choose Duplicate Finder.
4. In the next window you can modify your query based on file type, file size, location of the folder, etc.
5. Click the Search button to start the scan.
6. Select the files you’d like to remove and hit delete

Here is the screenshot of the interface of this application. It is really user friendly and works really fast.

Hope this information helps.

Capture.JPG

Punter23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks for sharing this...I was previously using irons cleaner software for duplicating the content

jcvilla
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I downloaded CCleaner for my Mac. 

In Tools, there is no Duplicate Finder option. 

I see only Uninstall, Startup and Erase Free Space.

Tokalak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Tam A. you can use Fast Duplicate File Finder for this from in your computer only. Because dropbox doesnt have this feature inside of in it.

Difference from the CC cleaner this program only for Duplicate Files there is many options of in it. You can download from it from http://www.mindgems.com/products/Fast-Duplicate-File-Finder/Fast-Duplicate-File-Finder-About.htm

Step by Step remove Duplicates:

Install and OpenFast Duplicate File Finder.
1. press Add Folder button
2. Choose folder that sycnorized with your dropboxx acount.

ps: You can see selected folder in right tab and you can change scan methods in there below
3. After all click Start Scan button

4. Check files from Scan results

ps: you can use auto select methods

5. Delete files with your selected method

You will see file preview after scan complete.

I made a screenshot of steps. Hope this help you 😉26-12-2017 14-27-12.png

Nathalia368
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I always thought it strange that DropBox doesn't have built-in duplicate file search function!

To solve similar issue, I am used to using Duplicate Media Finder.

I use it for searching audio files (mp3/wma). This helps me alot. I hope you too.:slight_smile:

DannyBrocck
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I use a friendly software: Duplicate Files Deleter.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DannyBrocck Explorer | Level 4
    Nathalia368 Explorer | Level 4
    Tokalak Helpful | Level 5
    jcvilla Explorer | Level 4
    Punter23 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?