cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Musicians

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How DJs organise their music library with Dropbox

How DJs organise their music library with Dropbox

Graham
Community Manager
If we’ve got any DJs here in the Group, it’s more than likely that probably made the switch from analogue to digital sound a long time ago :notes:

The days of DJs bringing large bags of records to clubs or festivals are mostly gone, there are still some vinyl enthusiasts out there, but for tho who have long made the switch, an external hard drive or a USB flash drive has long been the weapon choice for DJs.

But did you know, you don’t even need a flash drive anymore? Thanks to an awesome integration between Denon DJs Engine OS and Dropbox. DJs can now organise their music library and access it from anywhere in the world.

Denon DJs Engine OS and Dropbox integration

It really is that simple. All you need to do is connect your Dropbox account with your Engine OS and log into any piece on Denon Engine OS DJ hardware and you’ll instantly have access to your music collection.

Organised music files with Denon DJ Engine OS and DropboxOrganised music files with Denon DJ Engine OS and Dropbox

This will allow you to totally pre-prepare a set and even works with Denon Prime, the desktop music management software companion for Engine OS devices, to make sure you’re completely club ready before any gig. 

But for those of you who like to play off the cuff and be a little less prepared with your sets, you’ll have full access to your music library as long as you have it saved in your Dropbox account. 

You can then arrange all of your tracks in folders based on things like key, BPM, genre, venue, or anyway that makes the best sense to you. 

The Dropbox and the Denon Engine OS integration also makes it easier for music producers to share their music with fellow DJs in a way that enables them to play your tracks out without any hassle.

Are you a DJ? Tell us how you manage your music and if you’re currently using Dropbox to help in any way.
3 Replies 3

dgallant
Helpful | Level 5

Here, we are using Serato for first import, crate sorting, and exporting to an OS folder that matches the Crate. Then that folder is imported into Rekordbox to keep matching crates and playlists between the 2 software.

Until recently, I was using Dropbox Backup to keep an offline copy of this folder structure incase something bad happened at home. I have lot of feedback about Dropbox Backup for DJ's if you would like to hear about it. This is a huge opportunity 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dgallant, how are you today? 

Your feedback is always welcome to our Community, and we're all ears -or eyes in our case- ready to take everything into consideration. 

Feel free to let us know more, in order for us to be able to improve our product. 

Let me know more! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jski
Dropbox Staff

I DJ and use Dropbox for managing my music library. I use a folder structure with all of the songs I use for performances backed up in my Dropbox. I've organized roughly by music genres, e.g. Trance, House (and various subgenres), Techno, etc. The folder syncs to my laptops that I use for performing so I have all of the songs available locally.

I currently use Rekordbox so with that I can export playlists to USB, and then I can copy the playlist files into Dropbox too alongside my DJ music library so they are also backed up in the cloud. I have also used Rekordbox's sync integration with Dropbox to pull things down directly, but I prefer to also have a USB copy of everything (songs and playlists) in case of network connectivity issues. Some things in Rekordbox are path-sensitive so at times I may need to edit playlist files to fix the file locations (like from the USB path to my Dropbox path). I wish I had an easier way to do that today that could auto-locate each file and update its location based on folders I tell it to search in, but I make it work.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jski Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    dgallant Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?