cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Personal and Business accounts - Account types?

Linking Personal and Business accounts - Account types?

devynosborne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I searched the help and forums, but couldn't quite find the answer to my question.

My wife has a long-held Dropbox Plus personal account, which syncs to her laptop (via the Dropbox app with the standard Dropbox folder). She recently opened a Basic account for limited professional use, which has now grown and in need of an upgrade. Up until now, she's only accessed it through her browser. Ideally, this account can be synced to her laptop, along with the personal one, while keeping the two accounts clearly seperate.

I've gotten as far as discovering that one can *link* a Personal and Business account, which seems to do exactly what we want, but I'm confused on which exact plans have the capability.

Per this page, the Business account for individuals is the Professional. But this page confuses me about whether a Plus account can be linked with a Professional account, or if it has to be a Business Standard. This first screenshot's description makes it sound like the Professional account is not a Business account, when it is clearly listed under Business in the second screenshot...

2022-03-01 - PM-08-09-11 - screen shot.png

2022-03-01 - PM-08-09-19 - screen shot.png

Help!

Also, just to confuse matters, we already upgraded her professional account to a Plus account, but I think I can easily upgrade further if needed.

Last, if anyone has experience with linking personal and business accounts -- is it pretty easy and foolproof? I believe I read there are actually two different Dropbox folders (presumably labeled appropriately) that otherwise behave like a normal personal one. That would be ideal. Too much fiddling with the app, or logging in and out, will only create confusion.

We're on macOS, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any and all help!

27 Replies 27

strongroots
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just had a look, and it appears that yes, I can sign up for a Business Standard account, but would have to pay for 3 licenses (even though I would only be using one). I can hope that Dropbox will at some point count Professional accounts as being equivalent to Business Standard for this purpose of linking accounts, but in the meantime, I’ll be looking at alternatives. 

EMarioC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You stated: If your business account was a free team and you had linked it with a personal account, yes, you won't be able to link these two accounts anymore

No, my former 'Team Account' is billed ($119 per year) under the name "Dropbox Plus', you have converted it to this NEW category of 'Personal Account.'  This account WAS AND IS NOT FREE. However, YOU CHANGED IT FROM A BUSINESS ACCOUNT to a 'Personal Account', Not ME! 'The TIS team has been disbanded by Dropbox. Your team’s folders have been converted to shared folders, and all TIS groups have been deleted. Your account has been converted to a personal Dropbox plan'

WHY, WHY, WHY?

Any resonable person would understand that an account called a TEAM account to which you could add other seats for more Team memebers is a business account. Why would this ever be 'converted' to a personal account?

So this is how it will go moving forward. I will move all my data (I'm moving my 2+ TBs to another service. I'm done with you. I will tell everyone who will listen (IT Pro for 30+ years) to Drop! You and why. Trust me they will listen. 

Your messaging is deceptive, confusing and self serving. Just terrible. The text below from I guess what is now an outdated web page. You have waisted my time and caused me to move 2T of data to another provider. 

Keep teams flowing

Dropbox helps your team with tools that bring everyone’s work together in one focused place. Access and share files, coordinate projects with co-workers, and communicate right alongside everyone’s work.

This account WAS AND IS NOT FREE.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @EMarioC, it was possible to be a member on a  a free team account, and also be on a paid Plus account. In the system, it would have appeared as a work account, not a personal account.

Your Plus quota wouldn't have been shared with other members of the free team, however. Your quota would remain on your own account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EMarioC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You still don't get it, do you? 

I have (1) free account

I have one Paid Account ($119.00 per year)

You called my paid account a Team Account

You billed me under the name Dropbox Plus

Stop, here, think, I just wrote PAID ACCOUNT

My Paid Account has 2T of storage

So, I'm logged into my PAID ACCOUNT

I chose Upgrade

I'm offered, wait for it,,, Dropbox Plus as an option

Why does your system offer me the ability to upgrade to the account type I already have? 

If I then were to decided to purchase the Professional for Individuals (you call this a business account)

• I would then go from 2TB to 3TB 
  • How do I get my data from my Dropbox Plus (don't call it Teams account) to the this new account? 
  • Where does it state I can then link my free account to this new account? 

Do you know what is not mentioned or listed on the Compare All Dropbox Plans Page? The ability to link a 'personal' account with a 'business' account! Is this an option? 

This is what I belive has happened. I have been a paid client for so long that I have had my account, upgraded, changed, renamed so many times because of the changes you've made. Now my version of your Dropbox PLUS account with 2TB (you now offer this Plus Account with 3TB) AT THE SAME PRICE! is some kinda of baterdized account. You are looking at my setup though the eyes of what is offered today to new clients. So the reward for being with you so long is you can't understand my account struture or just don't wish to dig in, look and at your own services evolution, and do the right thing. 

At the end of the day, you have offered NO SOLUTION to the issues I've raised. 

You wrote: Hi @EMarioC, it was possible to be a member on a  a free team account, and also be on a paid Plus account. In the system, it would have appeared as a work account, not a personal account.

So, its was possible, and who made it possible? who did not account for displacing long time clients like me? 

You folks are wearing me out, its like shouting into the wind!

adgs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yeah I am quite confused. I logged on only to find the linking is gone and my DropBox Plus account I pay for is now a personal account, when it never was listed that way. Very disappointing. I too am a single biz person and do not need teams. This is why I had it set up this way, so it is very confusing, misleading if they've changed things and now single business people like us are being forced into something we did not sign up for as our only option. I too need to start searching for new options.

adgs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

With all due respect DropBox...what he is saying is true. I am in the same boat, like many others who I have spoken to who are confused. We had a free personal, and upgraded, adding a DropBox Plus account that we pay for, so we could have that simple level biz account for our small businesses. I don't see why we are now not given the option to keep them linked. Seems very unfair.

Denniz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Rich 

I have been a LONG time Dropbox user. I had my personal basic and plus linked and switched back and forth without a hitch. Boom all of a sudden a month of so ago it just stopped working.

I wish ( may be I lost the message) someone would have given us heads up that this is not going to work.. It has led to a lot of confusion as I had no idea they changed this and they keep on using the word business ( when plus was a professional account) now the terminology is changed… Go figure.. PLUs is now first tier personal account !!!! 

At any rate, just wanted to share in the even other linked accounts users are in my situation. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Denniz wrote:

... they keep on using the word business ( when plus was a professional account) now the terminology is changed… Go figure.. PLUs is now first tier personal account !!!!

The terminology hasn't changed in years. Basic, Plus and Professional accounts have always been personal accounts (i.e. an account intended for an individual). Dropbox has, on one of their plan comparison pages, grouped Professional in with Business because it shares some features with the Business plans, but it is still a personal account.

The last time the personal plans changed was likely in 2017 when the plan formerly known as Pro was renamed to Plus, then sometime later the new Professional plan was introduced with more storage and additional features.

Denniz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Ditto !!!  

I am on the same boat. Had a small business account and my personal account linked. Been a Dropbox user for EVER.. like over  decades. And could simply switch back and forth between the personal and “plus” account .. And all of a sudden out of no where they are not linked. This worse part is that I GAVE way too much credit and professionalism to Dropbox and assumed that the goof happened because of some upgrade in the window… 

LORD knows how much time I spent looking for solution.. AND Dropbox NOT ONCE showed us the courtesy to tell us “hay guys you now need to use ‘business.’ And too me weeks to check out their multi tier price options with business now being way way way  up there.. 

Very VERY VERY disappointing..

I just thought i was the only person in this mess.. I just don’t know what to say.. .

They did not even give us the courtesy to say hay you poor saps who have small business, if you can not afford it, here are your options .. something anything .

Just leave me high and dry using the same word “business” is if it’s definition has always been the same..  

Denniz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying.  I understand now that the terminology had not changed. But they did change the options for linked accounts which was my may area of confusion 

At any rate, thank you for taking the time to explain. 

D

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jseiwert Helpful | Level 5
    James JAMS New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Liz16 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?