cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to update payment information

Unable to update payment information

Nweindav
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am on an annual subscription to dropbox.  My payment was set up to automatically paid upon renew with my credit card. Since my last renewal my credit card was updated with a new expiration date.  Dropbox declined my payment. While I tried countless times, I was unable to update my credit card information on their website.  I had at least five chat sessions with sales (the only drobbox personel you can have live communication with) and they were totally unable and unequipped to provide any support.  Technical support is only done through online requests. I deleted cookies and cleared my cache as suggested in the community help center with no success. I logged in using "incognito" on the Chrome browser as recommended, with no success.  I submitted a formal tech support request and got a ticket#. I am waiting for a reply.  It has only been a day.  It is totally impossible to talk with anyone in technical support (no phone numbers except for sales) or to use the chat line to speak with a technician. There is no way to get in touch with anyone at drobox who can accept a payment if you are unable to update your payment information online. Like a monkey with a typewriter, I finally changed my payment option from Visa to Paypal. The transaction was processed immediately. Ironically, my Paypal account is linked to the same Visa credit card I was so frustratingly trying to use to make the payment.

If you are having the same problem let dropbox know.  Maybe they will make it easier to communicate with tech support when there is a problem.

17 Replies 17

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @DiogoRSP, thanks for the nudge & please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch. 

Rephrasing from my post above, it would be worth noting that we have limited visibility on what could be preventing you from completing the transaction. Are you getting any error messages along the way? Have you tried with a different credit card perchance? 

Your payment vendor could definitely advise on the possible causes, though I may also be able to guide you through if needed. 

Let me know of your findings/outcome whenever you have a spare minute! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Chris Simmons
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Jane, I wonder if you can help me. I have the same issue with the usual card not being auto-debited with the annual subscription on 7th Aug 2020, it was a still valid card, but funds were not collected. As instructed by the agent, I contacted the bank for this credit card and also the debit card I tried as alternative, they advised both were not blocked and the bank advised there was no attempt to collect any payment from DropBox. I was advisd in the email from DropBox Billing of yesterday ​​..."If your payment isn’t received by 7 September 2020, your account will be downgraded to Dropbox Basic, which will stop syncing if you have more than 2 GB of files, and doesn’t include features like Smart Sync, mobile offline folders, and more..." However in my conversation with an agent at DB he said we should downgrade and then upbrade to start the process again,. The account was downgraded and the cards did not work again and now the account is with 9GB of space with about 469% used, I am worried I will lose this information. There is clearly an issue with DB collections as the payment has been going out regulary over the last two annual subscrition of Plus service 2TB. I use this for business and for personal use so I depend on it. I am getting no results from the people I have chatted with at DB. Due to the number of failed attempts the ability to try again as been suspended for 24rs. To 15th Aug 2020 about 6pm Sao Paulo, Brazil time. This is worrying as the program is excellent but this issue will have to be considered carefully if I am to depend on this program in the future. 

So, can you help Jane? Thanks in advance.

My account is [personal information removed as per the Community's Guidelines]

Best regards

Chris Simmons

Bobster75
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was facing the same, I have changed it to another credit card. Very frustrating I was thinking it was my bad. I hope Dropbox can solve this!?

B

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Chris Simmons & @Bobster75; I'm sorry for the late reply here.

Are you still having issues with this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MaryHenry
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I upgraded my account two days ago but my credit card still shows the charge as "pending" and my Dropbox account does not reflect the upgrade.  I have used the same card (which is still active) for prior payments with no problem. It seems that the next action is on Dropbox's part, to accept and process the payment. How long does that usually take?  How should I proceed if this state remains unchanged?  Thanks for your help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MaryHenry, welcome to our Community! 

When you purchase a plan, the upgrade takes place immediately. 

Have you tried contacting your bank? They should be able to share some insight on this, and let you know why the charge is pending. 

Keep me posted on what you find.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Shinoda
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I would like to try a free trial and I select the payment, Paypal. However, in the next window, I am asked to type my credit card info.  

Is there any way I can use my bank account for the Dropbox payment?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Shinoda, thanks for reaching out to our Community and apologies for the delay!

Are you still having an issue with this or were you able to figure it out?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?