cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to existing files after the 30 days trial ends?

What happens to existing files after the 30 days trial ends?

Thrall
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I know dropbox stops syncing after the 30 days trial ends, but what happens to the files I've uploaded during the trial? Can I still access them? And how long would they stay? (Sorry for my bad English)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Thrall, thanks for joining the Community!

When you downgrade after a trial, all that will happen to your account is the files will stop syncing, if you're overquota when you downgrade.

You'll still be able to access your account, however, any new additions or edits won't sync to the account. The files will remain indefinitely on the account, as Dropbox doesn't delete any files without user input. I would recommend that you login to your account at least once within 12 months to keep the entire account active.

You can delete files from your account to get underquota again, which will allow it to sync once more.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Thrall, thanks for joining the Community!

When you downgrade after a trial, all that will happen to your account is the files will stop syncing, if you're overquota when you downgrade.

You'll still be able to access your account, however, any new additions or edits won't sync to the account. The files will remain indefinitely on the account, as Dropbox doesn't delete any files without user input. I would recommend that you login to your account at least once within 12 months to keep the entire account active.

You can delete files from your account to get underquota again, which will allow it to sync once more.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Adelaide22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there, I've used Dropbox for a week and am wondering if my files will be deleted and I won't be able to access as well as download my files after my 30 days free trial ends. 

Will I receive an email or a notification about that? 

Just want to make sure to recover my all files if that happens. 

Thank you!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Unless you actively cancel the trial you will automatically be upgraded and charged. 

If you do cancel then the account will revert back to a free one and you'll possibly be over quota. Syncing will stop but data safe. However, note that T&Cs do state they can delete data if needed to reduce your quota

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

IronBear21
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

when you get the free 14 day upgraded account what happens if you use the space but then dont pay to keep the upgrade what happens to all your files?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

They stay in your account but you cannot add or edit them. Dropbox, currently, does not delete them however the T&C's do state they can do so if they wish. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

IronBear21
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thank you very much I appreciate it

loren24
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
i have the professional 3tb trial im planning to cancel maybe a day or 2 days before trial ends to not get billed. what will happen to my data? i get that i cant load stuff anymore but can i download them to my laptop? ive read i cant upload but can i download all of it

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @loren24, the data will remain on your account, all that would happen is that new files or edits to files won't sync.

However, the files could still be downloaded to your machine even when the account is overquota.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

loren24
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
new question, before i cancel my trial can i switch plans instead? im on profesional 3tb trial

i want to get the monthly 11.99 2tb instead when i click buy now it says youre already on profesional plan
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

younglordimnj Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    loren24 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?