cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my files when I cancel my subscription?

What happens to my files when I cancel my subscription?

alessio b.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, what will happen to my Files if I cancel my subscription? I have dropbox plus and the number of GB I keep there is more than the limit of the non-paying versions.
There are also many important files which are not on my PC anymore and I should download them.
Once I've done it, will I have a certain time to download everything?
Or will all the files remain available for downloading?

58 Replies 58

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@nbniyas wrote:
If i end a 2Terrabite sub, do all my pictures/videos get deleted??

No, your files will not be deleted. If you're over your storage quota after cancelling you won't be able to sync anymore, but your files will remain accessible.

If, however, your account is idle for more than a year while on a non-paid account, it will be deleted due to inactivity. When this happens, it's not possible to recover the account now the files within it.

KBennett23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi,
If I buy a basic personal subscription to Dropbox and upload all of my photos to it (as my way of backing up my photos), what then happens to them if I cancel the subscription?
I.e if I upload 500GB worth of photos, but then 12 months later I decide Dropbox is too expensive and I want to cancel the subscription, what happens to the 500GB of photos? Can I still access them? I.e download them onto a phone or computer? How long do they stay available?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @KBennett23, thanks for posting your question here.

When you cancel a Dropbox subscription and you have lots of files, what happens is you just go over quota.

As long as you keep accessing your account, your files will still be in it, but you won't be able to add new ones and of course they won't be syncing across your devices.

You can, however, access and download them at any time.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Deear10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If I buy now 2 TB option, and I pay montly that amount in my case 99 dkk, what happend when this 2 TB will be full, because I don't expact to least so long because now all the pictures and videous are big...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Deear10 wrote:
If I buy now 2 TB option, and I pay montly that amount in my case 99 dkk, what happend when this 2 TB will be full, because I don't expact to least so long because now all the pictures and videous are big...

If you fill your account to the point that you're over your quota, or you cancel the subscription and downgrade back to 2GB with more than that in the account, syncing will stop. You won't be able to make changes to the files in your account, but they'll still be accessible. Files are not deleted if you're over your quota.

If your account remains idle for more than a year, it will be deleted (along with all content) due to inactivity.

fionski
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I upgraded my account from Basic (with 13GB, I have had this account for ages) to Plus. I decided to downgrade due to financial reasons and now I'm back to 2GB. What happened to the 11 GB I earned over the years? Can somebody help explain? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @fionski, I'd be more than happy to help! 

Was the space that you're talking about related to your referrals, or any related promos, that might have expired? Is it possible that you have two Dropbox accounts? 

Keep in mind that, all the referrals you have earned would remain on your account when you upgrade or downgrade.

Bear in mind that they'll be worth 500 MB if you are on a Basic account, in relation to the 1 GB space they are worth if you are on a paid subscription.

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Amsanda111999
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just got an email that my plan will be downgraded. I don't need Dropbox anymore, although I need access to the files I have on it.

Will I lose all the files unless I continue wit the current plan?

Right now I use 650 GB out of the (new plan's storage) that is 2 GB.

Thank you,

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Amsanda111999 wrote:

Will I lose all the files unless I continue wit the current plan?

You won't lose access to your files if you downgrade. You just won't be able to sync anymore, and you won't be able to add or modify files in your account. Your files will remain accessible both on the Dropbox website and the files that are synced on your computer.

If your account remains idle for more than a year then it could be deleted due to inactivity. If this happens your files would be deleted as well, without the means to recover. If you plan on leaving files in your account, make sure you sign in regularly.

Theoneandonlyron
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I now have a free subscription. Over the years I have managed to expand this to 15 GB. For the coming months I need more space so I want to temporarily upgrade to 2000gb.
What happens if I downgrade to the free plan later this year. Do I keep the 15GB or do I fall back to 2GB?
Thank you in advance

Ron

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    alley5 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    sara_777 New member | Level 2
    Theoneandonlyron New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?