cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't change email ... says it is already taken?!?!

can't change email ... says it is already taken?!?!

Christopher S.19
New member | Level 1

I have the wrong email associated with my account.
It is an old non-existent email.
When I try to update my email to my current correct email ... I get a message saying that address is already taken .... how do I fix this.

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

You need to reset the password on your duplicate account via www.dropbox.com/forgot .
Delete it
Then go back and change your email from your first account

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Paul M.111
New member | Level 1

I've experienced this same problem which Christopher S. describes but the answer from Mark Mc doesn't work because the problem is with trying to change the e-mail address and not resetting the password.

Patrick D.20
New member | Level 1

I put in my e-mail address and then changed it to an gmail address. I then decided to revert to my  email address but every time I went to put in my e-mail address I kept getting a message which said "that e-mail address is already taken.  The address referred to is my main e-mail address.  I would appreciate any help that can be given. Thanks so much in advance.  Patrick.

Rich
Super User II

It means there's already an account with that email address. Try to reset the password for it.

Mark
Super User II

Patrick

Please read the thread, it was explained exactly how to do this when the post was first made. 

Paul - you have to reset the password on the account it says you cannot change to as it already exists.... because you need to log in to it and delete it hence resetting password. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
    Patrick D.20 New member | Level 1
    Paul M.111 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?