cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: choose server location

Choose server location

gernot_h
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a dropbox professional.

Is it possible to transfer my files to a server located in EU? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Not with Professional, no. That is something you can only do with a Business licence holding at least 10 seats: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/physical-location-data-storage

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Not with Professional, no. That is something you can only do with a Business licence holding at least 10 seats: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/physical-location-data-storage

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

gernot_h
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, Mark, for the information ... 

Drdca
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

As a Canadian non-profit society, I'm required to store our data in Canada, including no transmission of data through any other country. At present, sync.com does that, but it would sure be nice if Dropbox caught up -- I've only a 1 user account, as that's all I need -- going pro with 10 users is simply too expensive to even consider.

Yannic_Belgium_Europe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello @Dropbox or SuperUser(s),

So to be able to have data stored (or moved) on/to European servers, you need:

- business-licence (standard, etc)

- at least 10 users

Is that correct?

Another question: although, if as a company you do not meet these requirements on licencing, the GDPR is still applicable if the data is stored on US-servers, correct?

Best regards,

Yannic

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Yannic_Belgium_Europe, welcome to our Community! 

Currently the ability to store files on our European infrastructure is available only to European Dropbox team, Enterprise, and Education customers with 10+ licences, who purchased a yearly subscription using a manual invoice billing method.

In regards to your question about GDPR, that applies to each and every Dropbox account. Feel free to have a look here too. 

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Yannic_Belgium_Europe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Megan,

Thank you for your info & feedback.

Practical question: will the European-data-residency also become available for smaller (European) customers? (so as from 1-10 seats)

Is there maybe also a roadmap from Dropbox on this where we can follow the coming new features/options?

Thanks for the update!

Best regards,

Yannic

Drdca
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

No, a European server would not be acceptable. Data belonging to non-profit societies (and some other companies) must be stored in Canada and must not travel through any server located outside of Canada. GDPR doesn't enter into this requirement.

Yannic_Belgium_Europe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear Drdca,

Maybe let each customer (like European customers) decide (or chose) where they would like to have their data-residency (like most providers also give that option to data-customers)? (it's not up to you to decide on that for each type of customer i presume?)

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Yannic_Belgium_Europe, at the moment we don't have a specific time frame on this.

However, your feedback has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can continue to improve.

If you need anything else, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?