cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox acquires boxcryptor

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

143 Replies 143

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
filen.io is relatively new but I'm a very happy and satisfied user of it for some months now for the reasons mentioned in this thread. Best cloud for me to replace the DB/BC couple and after testing everything else.

NX81
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I will download my 1TB OneDrive data on the PC via boxcryptor, delete it in the cloud and then upload it again encrypted with cryptonator.
https://cryptomator.org/

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@NX81 keep in mind that Cryptomator uses file name encryption...

NX81
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have taken this into account.
Do you see any disadvantages or concerns?

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@NX81  for me personally I saw disadvantages because without identifying files by their names I cannot use the native OneDrive app, Google Drive app, etc., and its features anymore to organize my files. So it's not very comfortable or even impossible to use the features of the native cloud apps and you are completely limited to Cryptormator's file managers on your computer and mobile devices.

NX81
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, unfortunately that is the case.
Personally, I have only used the Boxcryptor app an all my devices to access my files in the past, so it is not a change for me at all.

Does anyone know of any other good alternatives to Boxcryptor?

Concerned Citizen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi NX81.  I feel like Cryptomator is the logical alternative at this point.  It's open source I think, but you can make a donation.  I've been using it in a test mode but haven't committed to it yet so I can't swear from first hand experience that it is solid, but everything I've seen inspires me with confidence.  Good luck!

Eethan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have decided that I will have my cloud files encrypted with Cryptomator (purely as backup), and I will have an offline drive (or pc) with the unencrypted files to search (I have to search through hundreds of thousands of files every day, so filename obfuscation, albeit cool, is a huge pain for me).  Big middle finger to Dropbox for this absolute dog act, literally making my job 100x harder, and just **bleep**ting all over their customers.  I will be keeping my eye out for an alternative solution going forward.

Anton D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You "cannot commit to a date"

Act first, think later?

Anton D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

"Although we cannot commit to" bla bla bla, "please be assured that" bla bla bla..

Sounds like "Your call is important to us, so stay on the line"

Need more support?