cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

139 Replies 139

PitchCascadia
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for making that clear. 

Dropbox help is good help. 

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10

The latest development with Microsofts "lost" masterkey confirms again how important it is to use zero-knowledge end-to-end encryption for cloud servers. Providers that don't offer this technology for all(!) plans as a standard, can no longer be considered as trustworthy and professional. The poor communication and actions by MS regarding this matter is same level that we can expect from Dropbox after such an incident...

Dwight B.3
Helpful | Level 5

That answer doesn’t even begin to answer the question about what will happen to my files that are encrypted using Boxcryptor, especially those files stored on other services, such as Google Drive. How about answering the questions asked by your loyal users? You’e been ignoring us for months. How about some answers!

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @Dwight B.3 ,

I understand your concerns, and I apologize if the responses provided so far have not met your expectations.

Regarding Boxcryptor, I regret to inform you that it will no longer be available for customers in the future. This means that you will need to seek an alternative solution for your encryption needs for other storage providers than Dropbox.

For Dropbox business users, we will introduce our own native implementation of end-to-end encryption in the upcoming months. Early access for this feature will begin in December 2023, with a planned public release scheduled for April 2024.

UnicormPink
New member | Level 2

Hello, I have wanted to use Dropbox for about four months. I like the offering, but my only issue is that it doesn't come with E2EE. The acquisition of Boxcryptor last year was meant to have resolved this with this being offered to business users. 

Is there any update on this? I will be a paid user when this happens. 

Tomachi
New member | Level 2
I've not been able to recover my files reticent to use and lay for Dropbox account if I am unsure if the investment will pay off

saima1412
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Riccardo, I'm not sure what Dropbox's plans are for BoxCryptor, but I would recommend reaching out to their customer support team for more information. In the meantime, it may be a good idea to decrypt your files and make backups just in case. As for encryption with other cloud services, it's hard to say whether or not that will change until we hear more about Dropbox's plans.

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @UnicormPink , we will start to onboard first early access customers to our native end-to-end encryption implementation. We plan to release the public version in April next year. 
Thank you for your patience!

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10

@UnicormPink 

Dropbox's plans were just explained here again by @apfund .i.e. that Boxcryptor will no longer be available as stand-alone solution (for other cloud services) but its technology will be used to implement a native E2E encryption into paid Dropbox packages.

As mentioned here earlier and in at least one more thread, it is not necessary to decrypt your files if you have downloaded your private key from your Boxcryptor account. You can do the decryption offline(!) at any later time when needed.

@Tomachi 
What do you mean by "...unable to recover...". Could you please provide more details? Do you mean that you could not decrypt the files or what?

Steve-IR
Helpful | Level 5

You mentioned earlier in this thread that encryption is only going to be available to “business” customers. Does that include your “Essentials” plans or is this limited to what is actually named “Business” accounts (that have a 3 user minimum)?  I’m willing to stick around for awhile and wait for an Essentials add-on but an upgrade to Business makes no sense for individuals - especially given that there are cloud providers that offer zero knowledge encryption right out of the box (i.e. sync.com)?

Need more support?