cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Boxcryptor Integration

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

139 Replies 139

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
This was never clearly communicated either, but reading between the lines I feel that such implemented encryption will really only be available for such business packages. I wonder how the owners of such business packages will encrypt their data in the meantime...

Steve-IR
Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox should clarify this - and I think it would be a mistake to keep this from lower-tier paid plans because once a user leaves the service it is unlikely they simply return when this feature is added in the future (unless of course they are really unhappy with the alternative provider). So far, Dropbox got away with not having zke because of Boxcryptor and to some degree they still do because folks can use Boxcryptor as a local installation (sans mobile access, of course) - But that will eventually disappear with a future OS update that renders the Boxcryptor apps obsolete.

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Dropbox should have clarified a lot and made countless mistakes about this whole merger. You can't beat their dilettantism. I will never understand why they did everything in the worst possible way. And people still trust them with unencrypted data...🤦🏻‍:male_sign:

andrewfrey
New member | Level 2

Boxcryptor / "Secomba GmbH i.L." acquired by Dropbox

Does anyone have any idea when Dropbox is going to provide any updated information regarding they acquired  "Key Assets" from Boxcryptor back in December 2022. Since then all of us loyal Boxycryptor users that counted on the ZERO Knowledge base encryption have been kicked to the curb, both by Secomba GmbH i.L., and by Dropbox. It has now been 12-months since Secomba GmbH i.L sold all of us loyal user out for a quick money grab and nothing but crickets from Dropbox on this topic. I would have expected Dropbox to be concerned with upsetting its customer-base so bad that we will never continue using there services even after or if they get there act together and actually provide the embedded version of ZERO Knowledge Encryption they acquired.

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10

It remains a mystery why Secomba and Dropbox were so amateurish with the merger. They have completely ruined their image and no matter what products and plans they come up with in the future, I will never trust such amateurs again. I'm meanwhile used to and happy with my new structures and solutions.

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @andrewfrey and @Steve-IR , 

my team is working on implementing end-to-end encryption natively in our Dropbox product.
As mentioned before, we are starting to onboard first early access customers next week and plan to release the feature in April 2024. 
Concerning the eligibility of customers, our primary focus is on catering to the needs of business customers through this solution. Unfortunately, at this point in time, I'm unable to share more details. But I'll keep you in the loop.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. 

saima1412
Explorer | Level 3

yes, you are right. As of now, there has been no official statement regarding the future of Boxcryptor and its encryption services. It is still unclear what will happen to the files that have been encrypted with Boxcryptor. It is possible that Dropbox may continue to support Boxcryptor's encryption services, or they may provide an alternative service to their users.

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @saima1412 , the boxcryptor team has published an official blogpost regarding the future of boxcryptor here
Existing customers and users receive a notice of cancellation of the service and will only be able to use the Boxcryptor product until the end of their subscription. When the cancellation period is over, the corresponding accounts will be locked and the connected devices will be disconnected. 
This means, that boxcryptor customers should decrypt their data by then. If there are any questions, you can reach out to the boxcryptor support team. 

saima1412
Explorer | Level 3

thank you so much for the update. let me go through this blogpost..

c_my_name_is
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @apfund ( Andrea ),

is there a way to become an early access customer ( as a business user, reseller ) ? 2Q24 is a little disappointing as first 3Q-4Q 23 was stated as release timeframe.

thx

Need more support?