cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Boxcryptor now part of Dropbox- will encryption be available in Dropbox, and for other online st

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

139 Replies 139

SMRose_FL
Explorer | Level 3

Boxcryptor was acquired by Dropbox. Will encryption be available on Dropbox and when? And will encryption be available on other online storage accounts, like it was in Boxcryptor?

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @SMRose_FL 

we are currently working on our native implementation of end-to-end encryption for Dropbox.

We are planning to release the feature for our business customers in April next year. 

SMRose_FL
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your response. Does this mean that individuals will not be able to use Encryption on Dropbox?

c_my_name_is
Explorer | Level 4

Yep - as mentioned earlier in different posts - only for business accounts.

Dwight B.3
Helpful | Level 5

If you were a Boxcryptor user before the sale to Dropbox, you can still use it as a Local Account. However, you will need to have the decryption key to do this. Hopefully, by now you will already have that key since you can only download it if your account is still active.

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Yes, actually this was well communicated by BC and hopefully everyone downloaded the keys in time. Another issue Mac users need to be aware of is that the BC app is not compatible with newer MacOS versions like Ventura or Sonoma. If you still need to decrypt files, you will need to have access to older MacOS versions or Windows. Keep this in mind. Download the BC Apps for later installation, as no one knows when BC will close the website. If you install BC now, you will have to choose the option for a local account, as your (free) online account no longer exists.

Mark
Super User II

@SMRose_FL wrote:

Thank you for your response. Does this mean that individuals will not be able to use Encryption on Dropbox?

Yes this is correct. As has been said its going to be a Business only offering. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II

@c_my_name_is wrote:

Hi @apfund ( Andrea ),

is there a way to become an early access customer ( as a business user, reseller ) ? 2Q24 is a little disappointing as first 3Q-4Q 23 was stated as release timeframe.

thx

Being honest - never ever believe or follow the timescales issued by Dropbox.... they are still rolling out Paper 2020 and we are just about to enter 2024!

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dwight B.3
Helpful | Level 5

I'm on Ventura, and as far as I can tell, it is working flawlessly. However, I never upgraded to the latest version (v3.x?). I'm still on v2.48. So maybe that's why.

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
thanks for the info/correction. So most probably I need to correct and limit my previous statement regarding the compatibility to MacOS 14 Sonoma. I tried to install BC 2.48 but got the error message that this version is not compatible with the OS. I didn't try BC version 3.x
Need more support?