cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox acquires boxcryptor

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

139 Replies 139

marcusss
Explorer | Level 4

can we use a local boxcryptor account on a windows PC?

If yes, how please

Marc

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
First question: did you download your key from BC website before your free online acount was closed? If yes, you shall use it when you chose the option in your local BC app to proceed with a local account. That alternative option appears at login. If you don't have your key you won't be able to decrypt your files anymore.

marcusss
Explorer | Level 4

I did download my key. I don't see an alternative option when I log to Boxcryptor on my window PC ( no 3 points)

Thanks for answering

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
I'm glad you have your key. Since I use a Mac I cannot tell you exact details for Windows. May be you will need to delete the installed BC app and reinstall it. At first login you should get the option then.

Dwight B.3
Helpful | Level 5

Marcusss, you need to completely log out of BC and THEN quit the app before starting it up again if you want to see the option to use BC as a local account. On the Mac, you log out of BC from Preferences -> Account. Click Sign Out on that screen. It's probably the same or similar on the PC.  Once you restart the app, the login screen has an ellipsis menu (three dots). Tap that, then click Local Account. On the next screen choose to use the local account. Convoluted, yes, but that's the only way to make it work, AFAIK.

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi, 

we are currently looking for customers who would like to join the early access program of our native implementation of end-to-end encryption. 

If you are the team admin of your Dropbox account and would like to test it, please sign up here. 
Thank you!

whausername
Explorer | Level 4

Well that took some time. Any idea when a public release will occur? Will it only be available to Dropbox Business users, or will Professionals or Plus users be able to access (with or without purchase) encryption as well? Thanks.

Rich
Super User II

@whausername wrote:

Will it only be available to Dropbox Business users, or will Professionals or Plus users be able to access (with or without purchase) encryption as well?

The first version will only be available to Dropbox Business customers.

whausername
Explorer | Level 4
I understand, but that was nearly a year ago and Dropbox has been great at not communicating clearly around the acquisition and rollout.

I was just asking for an update as I am a business user but I don’t use a business/teams account (because I don’t need 3 accounts), and the confirmation of the lack of availability to me means I will ultimately make the switch to Tresorit. So I’ll wait to hear from @apfund if there’s any recent update.

Mark
Super User II

@whausername - it is definitely only going to be available to multi-seat business licences. Single user accounts (Pro/Professional/Essentials) are not within this. 

From what I've seen/heard I'd not be surprised if it was for Enterprise customers only.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?