cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

139 Replies 139

njwolfegang
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have received an email saying our subscription will expire 3/20/23 but no instructions as to how to keep using encryption services in dropbox.  Someone please explain and help me.

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@njwolfegang you received an e-mail from Dropbox or Boxcryptor? I don't get your point here yet...

HRS2403
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@njwolfegang 

At least on a Macintosh, you can continue using Boxcryptor with Dropbox under a local computer account. If you search above, you will find some help in doing that.

Recognize, though, that there are some risks in running Boxcryptor as an unsupported application, which is also discussed above.

jelabarre
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Wow, now this is a surprise.  I was just looking for what local-encryption options were available, and saw this news.    Immediately upon seeing that Dropbox bought out Boxcryptor, that was when Boxcryptor dropped right *OFF* my list of services to consider.

Anton D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It does not clarify anything. Only that Boxcryptor shareholders cashed in. Never mind the users..

Anton D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Right. Move out of Dropbox. It is really expensive, they are unclear about zero-knowledge implementation. Contempt for their users will get back at them.

Anton D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Shame on you for not providing a time path and more clarity. I'm losing trust and will probably move to a zero-knowledge provider.

Anton D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The answer is: There is no support for you.

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi Anton, 

I totally understand that you are not happy with the current situation. 

However, I want to confirm once again that we are already working on zero knowledge encryption, natively integrated with Dropbox for business customers. While I can't confirm a specific timeline or roadmap at the moment, I want to assure you that we are aware of your need for this native integration. Our team is working hard to deliver something as quickly as possible. Nonetheless, we need to make sure we deliver a product that meets the needs of our users - from a product, usability, and security perspective. I will let you know as soon as there is an update on end-to-end encryption here at Dropbox. Thank you for your patience!

Eethan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Wait... It sounds like Dropbox acquired Boxcryptor and will be paywalling it behind the most expensive tier which also requires a MINIMUM of 3 users?  I would really like to know if this is the case before my subscription renews because that would require ~$1000AUD/yr as opposed to the already expensive ~$300AUD/yr I have been paying.  I really hope I have that wrong here.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

whausername Explorer | Level 4
    Concerned Citizen Helpful | Level 6
    apfund Dropbox Product Manager
    Martin R.19 Collaborator | Level 10
    Cotswolds Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?