cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox shouldn't send marketing mails with download links

Dropbox shouldn't send marketing mails with download links

CaliSkooter
New member | Level 2

Sorry for posting here but there's actually a chance here that someone from Dropbox might read this and maybe some people will support me here, or maybe some will think I'm crazy. Sadly, the Dropbox website provides no other means for bringing something like this up.

I just got a marketing email from Dropbox inviting me to download your desktop app. Image of the message is included below.

For all that your message is completely legitimate, your methods are terrible. Most people do not know the security concerns regarding clicking on "download" links in emails and do not have the technical savvy to check to see if email addresses are being spoofed or even where to look. Or to even look in the first place, for that matter.

Someone with bad intentions can simply create an image of the email you just sent out and have a perfectly legitimate looking marketing mailing from you, and any of your users who get the bad one after getting the good one will think nothing of clicking on it. Furthermore, for those who do follow up on your marketing and click on your email, you have just given them a lesson that doing so is safe. It doesn't matter what safeguards you put in place for your own emails; you are putting your customers and community at risk by teaching them poor security practices in general.

Hopefully one of the Dropbox people watching these boards can elevate this to someone who can deliver the message to those who need to see it. This email was a very bad idea:

dropbox bad.png

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CaliSkooter, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on this - it's been noted in our system. 

Let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

canardnova
New member | Level 2

This is annoying. I'm also getting these marketing emails even though I have disabled all of them.

Please stop the dishonesty and stop sending these emails. If they don't stop I'm going to delete my Dropbox account.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

canardnova New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?