cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: End to End Encryption Coming?

End to End Encryption Coming?

morkus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I read that Dropbox will be starting to roll out end-to-end encryption (where they don't have the keys to read content if they chose to).

Does anyone know when this feature will be available?

Since iCloud now has this End-to-end encryption feature with its "Advanced Data Protection", I may just need to opt for that instead if Dropbox isn't going to implement this security soon.

Thanks,

26 Replies 26

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi Don Martin, 

we are on track with the native integration of E2EE and are planning to onboard first early access customers within this year. 

I will keep you updated in this forum. 

Thanks for your patience!

Don Martin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, thanks a lot for you fast reply

I will check with Cryptomator and I am not willing waiting longer for the Dropbox solution

Scragglygoat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been waiting for DropBox to implement BoxCryptor standard encryption since BoxCryptor announced they had been bought by DropBox and would be discontinuing their service. I never imagined BoxCryptor would end before DropBox implemented what they had bought. I can't risk the GDPR nightmare of handing client data over to DropBox employees, so I have to find an alternative. It all seems rather unnecessary - surely you would make sure you had some overlap with DropBox implementing encryption before BoxCryptor turns off? What were they thinking?

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @Scragglygoat 

thanks for reaching out!

We are in the process of finalizing an Early Access version or our native end-to-end encryption, which is scheduled for release in Q4 of this year. This version will be made available to a select group of customers, allowing them to try it out and provide valuable feedback.

Additionally, we have set a target release date for the public version of our native end-to-end encryption for business customers. We anticipate that this version will be ready for launch in Q1 of 2024.

While we are confident in our roadmap, it's important to acknowledge that unforeseen roadblocks can occur. We are prepared to address any challenges that may arise to ensure a successful release.

B-bath
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When will Boxcryptor be integrated into Dropbox?  The clock is ticking for Boxcryptor subscribers whose accounts are closing.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@B-bath wrote:

When will Boxcryptor be integrated into Dropbox?  The clock is ticking for Boxcryptor subscribers whose accounts are closing.

Refer to @apfund's reply, just above yours.

CSmithIsAway
New member | Level 2

Thank you. How do we get signed up for early access? This transition has been a train wreck and I want a permanent solution ASAP.

Crisido
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I use Dropbox as storage for my private data. For this I use the paid "Plus tariff". To protect my sensitive data, I also use Boxcryptor. Apparently, the E2EE technology acquired from this will only be available to business customers. Will there be no possibility to use the E2EE as a private user? For an extra charge, of course. Or do I, as a private user, have to book a much more expensive business customer tariff, even though I wouldn't need it otherwise? The fact is that I have been using a paid tariff for years and would also like to continue using E2EE encryption. Or can you provide any information on the tariff from which E2EE encryption will be available? Kind regards

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi Crisido, 

thank you very much for reaching out. 

Yes, you are correct. We will bring End-to-End Encryption to our business customers. 

As for our private customers, we don't have solid plans for that just yet.

Thank you!

Integratorman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It seem right now that their are only a smattering of companies that care about the security of your data. What if you had the idea of the century stored on dropbox? is it safe? or do you have bots scouring the encryped data (encrypted by DB) looking for things that can be capitolized on? Or actions of a hacker, former employee or rouge executive to sell this data in lots to someone in china? (the server is likely already there). 

How will dropbox make me feel safe to continue using their products?

Need more support?