cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove security code verification, so we can access the account even without email access.

Remove security code verification, so we can access the account even without email access.

thomsardou
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,
While I perfectly know why one would want to have 2fa on their account, this is something I chose *not to* activate. Now for some time Dropbox actually forces us to have access to the email on top of the password. I want to be able to deactivate this setting. I want to be able to access Dropbox at times I don't have access to my email.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@thomsardou wrote:
While I perfectly know why one would want to have 2fa on their account, this is something I chose *not to* activate. Now for some time Dropbox actually forces us to have access to the email on top of the password.

If you have two-step verification enabled on your account, refer to the following help article to disable it.

If you don't have it enabled and you're still receiving a request for a code, then what you're seeing isn't two-step verification; it's a one-time security code, and Dropbox will request them when they feel the sign in attempt is suspicious. These types of security codes cannot be disabled.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@thomsardou wrote:
While I perfectly know why one would want to have 2fa on their account, this is something I chose *not to* activate. Now for some time Dropbox actually forces us to have access to the email on top of the password.

If you have two-step verification enabled on your account, refer to the following help article to disable it.

If you don't have it enabled and you're still receiving a request for a code, then what you're seeing isn't two-step verification; it's a one-time security code, and Dropbox will request them when they feel the sign in attempt is suspicious. These types of security codes cannot be disabled.

JennJD10
Explorer | Level 4

Hi.  Hoping someone can here can help.  I use 2 Dropbox accounts.  One personal and one for work, each associated with different email addresses. I do however access both accounts using the same devices.  The work Dropbox is shared with others in my team.  I am having difficulty accessing the work  account.  All other team members are able to log-in.  However, when I log-in with the correct email address for the account and the correct password, I get a message saying they have sent a code to the address associated with the account. It's like 2 -step authentication is activated but only when I log-in from my devices.   Everyone else is able to log-in without being asked for a code.  We have verified the Settings and 2-step authentication is disabled.  I've tried logging in from my computer and from my iPad.  Same scenario.  No luck accessing the account with either device.   This is really bizarre.   Any ideas on what the problem could be and how to fix this?  I do not have access to the code Dropbox sends as it is sent to an address that is not my work email and the recipient is in another city.  Also, our company security protocoles are so high that the code expires before this person receives the code and they can forward it to me.   Seriously frustrated.  Hope someone has some ideas how to rectify. 

Mark
Super User II

You need to change the email address on the account to your own - you are risking the account being closed/deleted by not doing so. It is against Dropbox T&C's to share device emails/log ons so please be careful on this one.... note that if it is deleted the data is permanently lost and its not recoverable (account is deactivated). 

This should also stop the email code issue as it'll know who is logging in and where and not get confused by it being in other states etc

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JennJD10
Explorer | Level 4

HI Mark.  I am not the administrator on the work account.  It was created by my boss so we can share files between team members.  Really it is just me dropping files in the Dropbox account as the rest of the group only goes to the account to consult.  This account has one email address and the password has been shared with the authorised persons so they can access the account.  We are in different cities.  This is not allowed by Dropbox to share files amongst a group?   The strange thing is everyone else can still access the account.  I, who is the person who updates the information, can no longer  access the account because of the code verification.  No none else is asked for this.   We have been sharing like this for over 4 years and have a Dropbox Business account.   Please provide further info if you can. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JennJD10, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that sharing an account's credentials is against our Terms of Service as @Mark mentioned too. 

Have you considered using a shared folder instead? 

Also, when you say that you have a Dropbox Business account, could you clarify which plan exactly? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rich
Super User II

@JennJD10 wrote:

It's like 2 -step authentication is activated but only when I log-in from my devices.   Everyone else is able to log-in without being asked for a code.  We have verified the Settings and 2-step authentication is disabled.

One more piece of information...

What you're seeing isn't the two-step verification process which sends a code at every sign-on. This is a one-time security code which Dropbox will send when it doesn't recognize the device you're signing in from, or if it feels the sign-on attempt is suspicious.

Also, take what Mark and Walter stated seriously. If you're on an actual Business account, each member of your team can sign in to a Team space using their own account without having to share credentials, and they would have access to the same files. If you're all using one single email address and password, then you're not on a Business account; you're on an individual account, and sharing the credentials for that account is against the Terms.

Deeznatskis
New member | Level 2

The issue that I have is I use a password manager, that hasn't been hacked and store the file on dropbox. Since I dont know any passwords or logins to any site I solely rely on dropbox to provide the file to me when I need it. If I were to lose access to email, phone and everything else I would nee to access my dropbox to regain access to everything. This is a feature that I critically need. Without it dropbox is useless 100% for me! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Deeznatskis New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    JennJD10 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?