cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Accidentally Merged my personal Drop Box with Business Account

Accidentally Merged my personal Drop Box with Business Account

Brian D.30
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had a personal dropbox that I accidentally merge with a business account by using the same email. How can I get my personal dropbox back with the email and content that is now associated with business dropbox login.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

A business account shares with a non-business accounts = merging.

They didn't share with you. They invited you to join their business account. If they had sent you a regular shared folder invitation, your account would not have been merged into the business.

And how to get help?

Have the team admin for the business account contact Support and request that your account be restored. They will have access to phone support. Also, refer to the bottom of this help article.

and you don't even get a notification on whether the ticket is received. 

If you opened a ticket, you can track it at the link below. Also, refer to the bottom of this help article.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The team admin for the business account needs to contact Dropbox Support for this. If the team admin were to remove your account from the team now, it would simply be deleted.

Brian D.30
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

What would happen to all of my files?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you were removed from the account now, they would probably be deleted along with the account. This is why the team admin needs to contact Dropbox.

jerry O.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey Guys,

My Personal Account was Merged into my Companies Business account not by accident, this is what was suggested to me. I had 10G of Storage personally. Can you reinstate my personal account please?

Thank you.

Jerry 

Søren Rosenkran
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem.

A client of mine invited me to a shared folder - but they use a Business account - and without any warnings my private account was merged into their business account and I no longer have control.

The fact that this can happen is simply unbelievable. A business account shares with a non-business accounts = merging.

Come on DB this is not great design work...

And how to get help? Contact the support which is only available through a form and you don't even get a notification on whether the ticket is received. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

A business account shares with a non-business accounts = merging.

They didn't share with you. They invited you to join their business account. If they had sent you a regular shared folder invitation, your account would not have been merged into the business.

And how to get help?

Have the team admin for the business account contact Support and request that your account be restored. They will have access to phone support. Also, refer to the bottom of this help article.

and you don't even get a notification on whether the ticket is received. 

If you opened a ticket, you can track it at the link below. Also, refer to the bottom of this help article.

jerry O.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rich I don't know if you are a Dropbox employee, but this isn't a user issue it a design issue! 

Got my problem sorted pretty easily once I got to speak to someone, which wasn't that easy either at the time, and all my files were fine! Just a bit scary! 

Jerry 

Søren Rosenkran
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rich,

You're correct that my client invited me to Their DB business.

BUT!

1) The client didn't know the consequences of inviting me - they just wanted to share a folder

2) The email states NO information at all about what the potential consequence could be - e.g. "please note that..."

I cannot believe that this way is the intended one, once the design was made. There must be several issues similar to mine where people accidentally loose control. I find it strange that there is not thought of a much simpler model where the owner of the DB which is invited can CHOOSE to merge or not - instead of this just happens automatically. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I find it strange that there is not thought of a much simpler model where the owner of the DB which is invited can CHOOSE to merge or not - instead of this just happens automatically. 

When you accept the invitation with an existing account, you're given a choice of moving your personal files to a new account or merging them into the business account.

Need more support?