cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I turn sound notification off?

How can I turn the sound off on notifications?

ezrasdovid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I silence the sound for syncing notifications?

52 Replies 52

Romar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I fixed this issue on my windows 10 system by doing the following:

Go to Settings >System > Notifications & Actions, on the right side of the screen scroll down below “GET NOTIFICATIONS FROM THESE SENDERS”

On my system there are two DROPBOX ICONS, if the SOUND is on for either of these two DROPBOX icons, it will be indicated beside the icon with “On: Banners, Sounds”

To turn off the sound, click the DROPBOX ICON and set the “Play a sound when a notification arrives” to “Off”.

gigi1903
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

it worked, thanks!

Carlos L.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On Windows 10 you can go to Notifications & Actions (type it in the search field in at the Start button).  Scroll down to Dropbox and click on it.  You can then turn off the sound and leave the other type notification on.

gameusguyus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This does not work. I've followed your instructions to the tee and Windows 10 still plays the chime when files are changed/synced. Here's a screenshot showing both dropboxes are disabled. But I still hear that stupid chime.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

gameusguyus wrote:

This does not work. I've followed your instructions to the tee and Windows 10 still plays the chime when files are changed/synced.

Then you have a problem with Windows 10. I can confirm that setting Dropbox notifications to Off on that screen does infact disable notifications completely. You can also just click Dropbox on that screen (instead of clicking the on/off switch) and further customize the notifications so that sounds are disabled but the notification still appears.

These are all settings within the Notifications screen in Windows 10.

gameusguyus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I thoguht it was an issue with my install so I did a fresh install a week ago. And as I've read, this hasn't worked for previous people in the thread either. Is there any other ideas/solutions to this problem? I don't have this problem with any other app notifications other than DropBox as I've customized plenty of other apps to suit my needs.

gameusguyus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Okay, y'all are gonna love this. I have my Dropbox account on my girlfriend's laptop (I'm sure you can already see where this is going) and it'd sit behind me on her desk and everytime it'd sync it'd play it on her laptop. In my defense though, her laptop is unplugged and lid is closed and I had no idea the thing was even on because none of the lights were on. I feel like an idiot, sorry for wasting your time Rich. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No worries. I've done similar, only with a remote connection to my computer at work. The sounds continued to play through the remote connection and I thought it was the local computer (different app, not Dropbox, but VERY similar situation).

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has no sounds. Any notification sounds you hear are coming from your operating system.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey ezrasdovid

Thanks for posting your query on the Dropbox Community!

To disable notications on a Windows 10 computer, please have a look at the steps below:

In Windows 10, action center is where to find your app notifications, as well as quick actions, which give you quick access to commonly used settings and apps. Change your action center settings at any time from the Settings app.
  1. Select the Start button, and then select the Settings app.
  2. Go to System > Notifications & actions.
  3. Do any of the following:
    • Turn notifications, banners, and sounds on or off for some or all notification senders.
    • Choose whether to see notifications on the lock screen.
    • Choose whether to see notifications when you're duplicating your screen.
    • Choose the quick actions you'll see in action center.
    • Turn tips, tricks, and suggestions about Windows on or off.

Hope that this helps! If you need more details about it, just let me know in your reply. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?