cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS Monterey - unable to move Dropbox location

Mac OS Monterey - unable to move Dropbox location

musiconn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I run Mac OS Monterey 12.16.3 and want to move my Dropbox folder to an external drive but am getting this message: This version of macOS requires Dropbox folders to be stored here: /Users/username/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

Does this mean it will no longer be possible to use an external drive on Macs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@musiconn wrote:

Correct. Apple now requires cloud storage providers that use their File Provider API to store the folder in the Library/CloudStorage folder.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@musiconn wrote:

Correct. Apple now requires cloud storage providers that use their File Provider API to store the folder in the Library/CloudStorage folder.

mgw1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Strange. At the direction of Dropbox support, I started the move of my Dropbox to the root of my 14TB external drive just today (also MacOS Monterey) and it seems to be going through OK... although it seems stalled at 2,329,025 of 2,329,040 files.

Edit: It finished the operation and is working well so far. 

musiconn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for your response. My understanding was that the restriction was set by Apple functionality.

Did you leave an alias folder in the original location? Is there any other setting you have to change when moving the location?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

musiconn Explorer | Level 4
    mgw1 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?