cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move dropbox onto d drive

Move dropbox onto d drive

DJ68
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Even though I have seen messages and threads about how to move dropbox onto my d drive none of the threads seem to get to stage 1 on my laptop

I cannot get the app to the 'cog' stage as every time it is started it goes to the folder version

i have looked in the windows system folder (there are 2) and cannot see the 'app'

Driving me mad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DJ68
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Success

I did an uninstall and followed the process for an advanced install

However the 2 dropbox related files mentioned in the register part of the delete process were found in a different register folder - (not Local but User)

I was nervous about deleting them but I was so frustrated I did and hey presto when I re-installed the Dropbox on my laptop I got the advanced settings option and was able to specify the 'D' drive.

It's working and many thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DJ68 wrote:

I cannot get the app to the 'cog' stage as every time it is started it goes to the folder version

You need to single-click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). That's the area by the clock. If you double-click this icon you'll just open the Dropbox folder. A single-click opens the Dropbox app, a CTRL-click opens the legacy menu (where you can just select Preferences) and a double-click opens the Dropbox folder.

DJ68
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Success

I did an uninstall and followed the process for an advanced install

However the 2 dropbox related files mentioned in the register part of the delete process were found in a different register folder - (not Local but User)

I was nervous about deleting them but I was so frustrated I did and hey presto when I re-installed the Dropbox on my laptop I got the advanced settings option and was able to specify the 'D' drive.

It's working and many thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DJ68 wrote:

Success ... files mentioned in the register part of the delete process ... I was nervous about deleting them

Glad you were able to resolve this. A tip for the future... Yes, editing the Registry can cause serious damage if done incorrectly, but it's very easy to make a backup of the Registry or even just a single key.

Right click on a key (that's a folder in the Registry) select Export and save it to a file with a .reg file extension. You can even do this at the top of the Registry to export the entire thing, though that could be several hundred MB of data. You can then edit or delete that key, or even a single value inside of it, and if what you changed causes a problem, just double click on the .reg file you exported to import that data back into the Registry. Reboot (in most cases) and you're back to where you were.

DJ68
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

t and thanks for the tip

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DJ68 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?