cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No option to open Dropbox link in Finder?

No option to open Dropbox link in Finder?

theactualangie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I seem to be missing the setting that allows me to open Dropbox folders in finder instead of in a browser. Can someone please tell me how to open a Dropbox link in Finder? My Mac is: macOS Monterey; Version 12.5. 

Two images are attached. As you can see in the second screen shot, I do not have the option I am seeing available to others online. Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 4.52.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-10 at 4.52.23 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@theactualangie wrote:

How can I adjust whatever settings need to be adjusted, so that I have the option to click a Dropbox link and open the folder in Finder

Has that ever been an option? Dropbox links have always opened in a browser because they're links to a website. To the best of my knowledge, you could never click a link and have it open in Explorer or Finder.

The option you highlighted in the Preferences wasn't for opening links in Finder vs. the website. It was for opening folders either in Finder or the Dropbox desktop app, which no longer exists.

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 12.31.05 AM.png

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @theactualangie, welcome to our Community and happy Friday!

I'm afraid the option you're referring to is not present any more within our desktop app, that's why you're not seeing it when you open the app's preferences. 

That being said, can you give us some additional information about the issue you're facing? 

Are all the files you try to open on your computer redirecting you to the website?

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

theactualangie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Oh no, that's super frustrating! I store everything in Dropbox and have links to folders saved for quick access. But the issue is that when I click the link, it takes me to a browser window, and I'm not able to drag and drop images, etc. like I need to be able to do. How can I adjust whatever settings need to be adjusted, so that I have the option to click a Dropbox link and open the folder in Finder? 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@theactualangie wrote:

How can I adjust whatever settings need to be adjusted, so that I have the option to click a Dropbox link and open the folder in Finder

Has that ever been an option? Dropbox links have always opened in a browser because they're links to a website. To the best of my knowledge, you could never click a link and have it open in Explorer or Finder.

The option you highlighted in the Preferences wasn't for opening links in Finder vs. the website. It was for opening folders either in Finder or the Dropbox desktop app, which no longer exists.

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 12.31.05 AM.png

theactualangie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Oh I see. It would still be incredibly helpful if I could open a link from my own Dropbox account in a Finder window, instead of just in a browser tab. I don't understand how this is not already an option. 

theactualangie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I store everything in Dropbox and have links to folders saved for quick access. But the issue is that when I click the link, it takes me to a browser window, and I'm not able to drag and drop images, etc. like I need to be able to do. It would be much preferred to be able to click a link and open my own folder in Finder.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you for your feedback on this @theactualangie - it's been noted in our system.

Let us know if you have anything else to add or ask. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dennisg1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same issue which is extremely frustrating. 

I used to look for a folder in my dropbox via spotlight and right-clicked on the folder in the spotlight results bar to access it directly (for example to save a file in this folder). Since this option is gone I am redirected to the dropbox app which is extremely useless since I do not want to use the dropbox app and am unable to locate the folder anymore.

Please bring this back. It is a must-have for me. Otherwise I don't have any option to access a folder in my dropbox through spotlight anymore.

Here's the link for the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jztlapvcbkaswgg/Screen%20Recording%202022-12-08%20at%2000.49.50.mov?dl=0

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dennisg1, could you try the steps in this post to re-index the Dropbox folder in Spotlight?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dennisg1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Unfortunately it did not worked, I reindexed the dropbox folder in Spotlight without success.

This is extremely unfortunate and did not happen in the previous versions of Dropbox. Why did you remove the feature to open a dropbox link in Finder? This is product decision is not understandable for me.

Thanks for your reply.

Dennis

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kolossal New member | Level 2
    lisaklingner Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?