cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

How do I stop being a member of a shared group?

Level 3

After a long recent trip, a friend set up shared folders for each trip member to add their photos. One person in the group has added so many big files to their folder that I am out of space in my Dropbox account.  In order to free up space, I would like to stop being a member of that specific shared folder.  How do I do that?

Although I am not the owner, we were each given edit privileges on each trip member's folder. If I try to delete the folder from my account, Dropbox wants to delete the folder for everyone.

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: How do I stop being a member of a shared group?

Dropboxer
Hey there @smsmith11,

You can remove a shared folder from your account without affecting the other members by deleting the shared folder from your account (not the contents, just the whole folder). Please check out our Help Center article here if you want to check on the steps to do this. 

To clarify, the shared folder will appear with the silhouette of 2 people on the folder. You will need to select and delete the folder at this level.

Let me know if this helps to clarify the matter for you - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 3

It certainly worked for me.  However, when the warning shows up that you are about to delete a folder, it doesn't make it clear whether you are deleting the folder just for yourself or for the whole group.  So far I haven't heard screams of anguish from other people sharing the folder, so either it worked or the others haven't noticed yet.

If anyone reading this forum has clout with DropBox, I recommend that they make the delete warning a little more clear.

Level 3

The screaming has begun! I inadvertantly deleted several folders from everyone's Dropbox account.  The owner of the shared folder has re-entered or undeleted all of photos and now my Dropbox account is **WAY** overstuffed.  After reading your site a little more carefully, I realized that I cannot use your suggestion.  

The problem is a little more complex.  The owner of the shared folder "Trip Photos" created over a dozen sub-folders with the names of the trip participants ("Tom", "**bleep**", "Harry", "Sally", "Sue", "Pete", etc.).  Each of the trip participants were given full read-edit privileges to "Trip Photos" and all of the sub-folders so they could add their files. The problem is that now that the photo files for the "Tom", "**bleep**", and "Harry" sub-folders have been added, I no longer have room for files from ""Sally", "Sue", "Pete", and all the other participants.

Having now seen all of the photo files from Tom, **bleep**, and Harry, I want to remove my access from their sub-folders so that I can see those from Sally, Sue, and Pete.  However, only the root-level "Trip Photos" shared folder has that silhouette of two people, the "Tom", "**bleep**", and "Harry" sub-folders do not. Deleting selected sub-folders has caused the anguish and the screaming to begin.

How do I stop being a member of those sub-folders (i.e., remove them from my account) without deleting the entire shared "Trip Photos" folder?

Level 3

My apologies.  Apparently, the Dropbox forum does not like Richard's nickname and had *bleeped* it out.

Dropboxer
Hey again @smsmith11,

I see, so in this case you wouldn’t be able to delete those subfolders from your account without this reflecting for the other members of the shared folder. 

What I could suggest is to contact the owner of the folder and ask them to share each of the subfolders with you rather than the top level “Trip Photos”. This will mean you can remove the specific subfolders from your account without affecting the others to free up the space as you need.

(Just to clarify, you would ask the owner to remove you from the “Trips Photos” and then share the subfolders “Tom”, “Harry” etc with you so you can remove them as you need to).

Hope this will be workable for you - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How do I stop being a member of a shared group?
5 Replies
0 Likes