cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I canceled.

Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Jon C.10
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

In case anyone's unaware... if you're a Mac user storing your Dropbox on an external drive, you'll shortly lose that ability.

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/dropbox-drops-support-for-storing-files-on-an-external-drive-and-onedrive...

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Just confirmed this with DB support (see below).  Gutted - been with Dropbox for years and our entire video team flow is based around it 😕

>Hi there, I read today that you are scrapping the ability to store the Dropbox folder on external disks, on OSX. I'd like to ask more about this please.

> Hello Jon, and thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Joseph, and I will be more than happy to look into your request, right away.  

That is correct Jon, as part of the Dropbox for macOS update, the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage.

>This is a showstopper for us, and will mean we have to move to another service. We have a large distributed team using DB for video work, no way it'll fit within internal drives.
Is there a workaround?

> I totally understand and I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, there is no workaround on this as changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS.

>This change doesn't seem to have hit us yet - we're running a variety of machines inc Ventura
What will trigger its enforcement? Can we stay on an earlier OS or Dropbox version?

>The updates happening automatically every time the Dropbox app is restarting, for example if your device never restarts it should maintain the older version but we can't guarantee full functionality on older versions of the application.

>So what will happen - if we have a Dropbox folder on an 8TB drive and a tiny internal drive - will it try to clone stuff across and eat up the space? What's the mechanism?

>That's right, it will try to move the content on your internal drive until it has no space and gives you an error.

>Is Smartsync still supported? I.e. will it move stuff to being online only if it won't fit?

>It is, however it is now known as online-only.

678 Replies 678

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@camner @UKD @Jon C.10 @Bookpast You’re right to be shunning OneDrive, as I have discovered that this once-trusted service has CORRUPTED EVERY SINGLE PDF FILE to which I entrusted it! Think of this! Whenever I received an email that I wished to preserve, I converted it to a PDF. And now, every single PDF that I created for years is unreadable! If I could sue Microsoft, I would, but of course I am prevented by their TOS! This is why I Transferred all of my OneDrive files to dropbox, but now I find that I must in turn transfer my dropbox files. It’s a sad, hard lesson. I’m going to save all my DropBox files to my NAS, in addition to copying them to my new service. TRUST NO ONE!

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution
Hi Arthur,  While I cannot comment on many of the points you mentioned, there is one thing that I can add: My team is currently working on zero knowledge, end-to-end encryption, natively integrated with Dropbox for business customers. While I can't confirm a specific timeline or roadmap or pricing at the moment, I want to assure you that we are aware of your need for this native integration. Also, we (and especially I personally) read your comments/wishes/ideas and all feedback shared in this forum related to end-to-end encryption. I'm also sharing everything I see and read here internally and will make sure that your voice is heard.

fjazzfjazz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@apfund what started all of this is that Dropbox might not support external drives anymore. 

How can Sync.com support it? 

All of this turmoil would be over if Dropbox can at least confirm that somehow, it will always continue to support external drives.

Do you have any word on this matter? 

pampy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

At last, a response from the dropbox team, but sadly none of it was about external drive support. Can you please tell what you guys are currently working about this ordeal.

UKD
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@pampy I know right. They are gracing us with their presence. Shame they haven't been doing that the last 18 months.

I thought the comment from @apfund is hilarious; "I'm also sharing everything I see and read here internally and will make sure that your voice is heard." We've all been screaming at the top of our voices to get someone to listen to us and nobody has. So @apfund you are about to lose a load of customers, you know, those people that help pay your wages.

That'll fall on deaf ears, just like every other comment made on here or to them.

apfund
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

I just reverted internally and I can only give you the same update that was written in this post.

I can confirm that our team is actively working on this issue and I apologize for not being able to provide you with a clear timeline. 

UKD
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution
@apfund and there we go folks… the party line. Are you sure Dropbox isn’t in the politics game because you sure do avoid explaining things. And what’s even funnier is smaller companies without Dropbox's massive resources have managed to support external drives.

The above is exactly why you’ll lose customers.

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thank you, @apfund . I am sorry that the messenger is being shot at, and am grateful for your work. 

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Ok folks, so I just installed sync.com > 6TB Solo Professional plan and ran some tests.

WOW they really improved since I tried like 10 years ago. I think this is the end of Dropbox if they don't offer better storage soon.

It's perfect really. I'm not renewing my Dropbox yearly then. Bye.

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hello everyone, 

We understand that you want an update on this issue as soon as possible, and our engineering team is working to get the external drive support reinstated. We are sorry that we don't have any updates for you at this time, as we know this can be frustrating. We have shared your responses with the team, and we will get back to you as soon as we've an update. 

Regards,

Emmet

Need more support?